1. We will be in Read Only mode (no new threads, replies, registration) for several hours as we migrate the forums to upgraded software.

time activated relay.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by agapis, Feb 4, 2009.

1. agapis

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    hi:

i have to design a undercarriage for a model hand launched glider for a competition.

the undercarriage must deploy AFTER 2 seconds, and the glider must remain airborn for at least 5.

heres the problem: it CANT use radio control.

so obviously a timer is the way to go.

i have the mechanical system designed, it just needs a timed actuator to pull the pin. once the pin is released the (torsion) spring loaded frame will deploy.

so i need a timed servo/rotary dc motor to activate after 2 seconds.

HOW CAN I DO THIS?

i have one real life 555 circuit built, and a simulated one in MULTISIM, but the output off the relay is showing decay on oscilloscope. it should be showing a square wave of a specified pulse witdth. it ISNT.

does anyone know ANYTHING about this kind of thing who can help me? i have spent many hours on google, and all the circuits seem to fail when simulated.

what i need a is a 5v-12v DC "monostable one-shot" circuit, that starts timing after i press a button, and either keeps the relay open for short/long enough to move my motor OR sends a correctly modified pulse (1.5ms) to my servo.

any ideas?

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    A simple 555 monostable will do the timing, but you need to figure out the mechanics from an electrical signal, also how you want to start the timing circuit.