Ti-83 Ti-84 Mesh Analysis

bglazierjr

Joined Apr 2, 2011
For those of us who are not lucky enough to have purchased a ti-89 or ti-86 and need to do AC mesh analysis, this can prove very frustrating. Below is the source code for a program that will do mesh analysis, either 2 variable or 3 variable, using imaginaries. Just click the PRGM key on your calculator, scroll over to NEW and and click Create New. Name the program whatever you like.
Now you should see a prompt that looks like this

Code:
PROGRAM: "Whatever you named it"
:

Now just enter this exactly as you see it. Note that the = sign can be accessed by pressing 2ND - TEST.

Also all of the functions can be accessed through the PRGM button. It will open up to three tabs. From there you can navigate to find Disp, Lbl, ClrHome, Menu, Prompt, and Goto

One more note is when I show the arrow -> it means press the button STO>, second button up from ON 

:
:ClrHome
:Menu("NUMBER OF VAR:","2",A,"3",
B)
:Lbl A
:Disp "AX+BY=C",
"DX+EY=F"
:prompt A,B,C,D,E,F
:(AF-DC)/(EA-DB)
->Y
:(C-BY)/A->X
:Disp "X=",X,"Y=",Y
:Goto C
:Lbl B
:Disp "AX+BY+CZ=
D","EX+FY+GZ=H",
"IX+JY+KZ=L"
:prompt A,B,C,D,
E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L
:((AF-EB)(AL-ID)
+(AH-ED)(IB-AJ))
/((AF-EB)(AK-IC)
+(AG-EC)(IB-AJ))
->Z
:(AH-ED+ECZ-AGZ)
/(AF-EB)->Y
:(D-BY-CZ)/A->X
:Disp "X=",X,"Y=",U,"Z=",Z
:Lbl C
A problem I had was being able to read the full answers, it would show them like this
2.3453453+6.......i
so you couldn't read the whole thing
the solution is once the program exits just press ALPHA X and press enter and it will show X and ALPHA Y to show Y. Then you can click on them and see the entire answer. If you were to do this with the 3-var you would enter X,Y, and Z afterwards. You get the point.
Also you can press ALPHA X then press math and go over CPX and then to the bottom >Polar. Press enter and now your answer is in polar form.
Post any questions or concerns.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrisrod

Joined Mar 22, 2024
For those of us who are not lucky enough to have purchased a ti-89 or ti-86 and need to do AC mesh analysis, this can prove very frustrating. Below is the source code for a program that will do mesh analysis, either 2 variable or 3 variable, using imaginaries. Just click the PRGM key on your calculator, scroll over to NEW and and click Create New. Name the program whatever you like.
Now you should see a prompt that looks like this

PROGRAM: "Whatever you named it"
:

Now just enter this exactly as you see it. Note that the = sign can be accessed by pressing 2ND - TEST.

Also all of the functions can be accessed through the PRGM button. It will open up to three tabs. From there you can navigate to find Disp, Lbl, ClrHome, Menu, Prompt, and Goto

One more note is when I show the arrow -> it means press the button STO>, second button up from ON

:
:Menu("NUMBER OF VAR:","2",A,"3",
B)
:Lbl A
:Disp "AX+BY=C",
"DX+EY=F"
:prompt A,B,C,D,E,F
:(AF-DC)/(EA-DB)
->Y
:(C-BY)/A->X
:Disp "X=",X,"Y=",Y
:Lbl B
:Disp "AX+BY+CZ=
D","EX+FY+GZ=H",
"IX+JY+KZ=L"
:prompt A,B,C,D,
E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L
:((AF-EB)(AL-ID)
+(AH-ED)(IB-AJ))
/((AF-EB)(AK-IC)
+(AG-EC)(IB-AJ))
->Z
:(AH-ED+ECZ-AGZ)
/(AF-EB)->Y
:(D-BY-CZ)/A->X
:Disp "X=",X,"Y=",U,"Z=",Z
:Lbl C

A problem I had was being able to read the full answers, it would show them like this
2.3453453+6.......i
so you couldn't read the whole thing
the solution is once the program exits just press ALPHA X and press enter and it will show X and ALPHA Y to show Y. Then you can click on them and see the entire answer. If you were to do this with the 3-var you would enter X,Y, and Z afterwards. You get the point.
Also you can press ALPHA X then press math and go over CPX and then to the bottom >Polar. Press enter and now your answer is in polar form.
Post any questions or concerns.

Thanks
Can you please make a video on how to do this?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Probably not, since the member has not been seen in well over a decade.

Instead, spend the time to understand how to do mesh analysis well enough so that you can write the program your self. That will pay big dividends even if you never finish the program or use it.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Can you please make a video on how to do this?
Wow, caveman era thread revived ... Ugh, Ugh.

I would also suggest staying away from calculators unless that's all you have. I would instead suggest using math software for the computer if you have a PC.
Maxima is a free math software program that does all kinds of math including algebra and calculus. If you use a cell phone like Android, you can even download a version for your phone (don't know offhand if they have an iPhone version). It's not as easy to use as the PC version (Windows) because it's on the cell phone, but still works.