Thyristor / diode module help

Buschy

Joined Oct 14, 2010
Hi new here so thanks in advance for any help this post may receive.

I have a piece of equipment (built 1983) that is presently fitted with two MCD55-16i08 Thyristor modules. I cant find any reference to the MCD55 but have found a data sheet for the MCD56-16i08.
Is anyone familiar with the MCD55 and if so is the 56 an up-spec'd version or at least compatible.
The original Schematics for the unit show the modules as a 45H160 but i cant find any reference to these either. The MCD55 may have been fitted at a later date.

If anyone can shed some light on the above i'd be gratefull.

Cheers
Buschy

timrobbins

Joined Aug 29, 2009
Manufacturers of those modules often change the part number slightly over the decades, to accound for slight differences in manufacturing. So it is likely that the MCD56 is a direct equivalent of the MCD55.

You may be able to glean the required rating from the equipment rating plate - is it a power supply/charger of some type?

Ciao, Tim

Buschy

Joined Oct 14, 2010
G'day Tim,

Thanks for the reply. There are two of these modules parralled up to control the output of a 3.5KW electro-fishing unit.
with a selectable output of Max 1000v DC or 700Vrms AC.

I'm going to try a couple of the 56' as their specs seem more than capable to handle the switching - Tune for maximum smoke!

Cheers

timrobbins

Joined Aug 29, 2009
You really need to check the device voltage rating being used is appropriate for the circuit configuration - and should include mains high factor, and preferably a 2:1 safety factor.