Thread Answered

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I'm wondering if it would be possible to implement a capability for a thread starter to be able to mark the thread as answered. This way, a post with only two posts, and the question answered doesn't need any more posts and no one needs to see if the OP still needs help. Likewise, the 127 post thread with a solution can be marked as answered, so people can continue conversations, but the point of the thread has been met, that way, no one would read the whole thread only to find the question was answered previously...

Just a thought...

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Perhaps the Topic Starter can PM the mods or report the thread for being completed.
That way the mods can close the thread on request.
This will also prevent threads from being hijacked.

Bertus

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Hello,

Perhaps the Topic Starter can PM the mods or report the thread for being completed.
That way the mods can close the thread on request.
This will also prevent threads from being hijacked.

Bertus
It seems like this would put added stresses on the moderators, though I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard....

This would end any such conversation persisting on a thread, though. I think it would be good to allow whatever conversations may have started after, or in result of, the poster's answer, as another solution may be better, and if the OP desires, could revisit the thread to learn other solutions and their tradeoffs.

Also, the system would be unreliable as it would require OPs to ask a moderator, of course, there is a flaw with either system, I think people would be more inclined to simply click a button than PM a moderator...

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I too have seen this feature on many different fora. I think a button only available to the OP would be useful, and once the question has been answered s/he can click the button and it will give the thread a small "answered" tag. Locking the thread may be a bad idea, as there's always the possibility that there is a piece of false information, and the OP was not aware that it was false and clicked the "answered" button (or PM'd the mods, however it is to work). It's good to still have the thread open, just in case a correction must be made by another member. The "answered" tag will give other members a good place to start, anyway.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'm with Der Strom. Button only available for the OP, no locking, no mod intervention needed.
I would also suggest that the Forum page display the "answered" tag so I see it before I click on the question.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Edaboard has the [SOLVED] flag appended to the front of some thread titles. It's only visible when you're viewing a list of threads, not when you have the thread open.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
That would be great. Locking it stops anything altogether, which can be kinda naff if you're engaged in a good discussion.

I like it when my questions are answered and the post goes a little off topic - someone asking a little about it, or someone offering another suggestion. It makes me feel good that people have actually taken the time to properly read through all the posts, and have confidence to just ask. :)