This temp gauge has been lasting for YEARS!! Others just months...

drbuck187

Joined Aug 15, 2019
Hello!
So this Brookstone temp gauge has been working using the same two cheep AAA batteries for like at least EDIT: 15 years (!) while newer ones I buy (from maybe Harbor Freight, Home Depot) run on AA batts and only last for like three months; what's the story!? The Brookstone probably cost about $50 (years ago...) and cheaper recent ones like $10, but why such a difference in battery usage??

IMG_20210617_143527.jpgIMG_20210617_143558.jpgIMG_20210617_143616.jpg

Last edited:

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hello there! :) someone replaced the same cheap batteries that came with your "temperature gauge" while you were not looking for 5 years now.

1623970150169.png

– 970 mAh at 0.1A load
– 777 mAh at 0.2A load
– 553 mAh at 0.3A load
– 336 mAh at 0.5A load
– 1.174 Wh at 0.1A load
– 0.916 Wh at 0.2A load
– 0.637 Wh at 0.3A load
– 0.378 Wh at 0.5A load
Thank you for the information though, you sold me. I would buy it!

drbuck187

Joined Aug 15, 2019
MAYBE that's an answer to the question, but how does a thermometer (I couldn't think that's what it's called...) that I got like 15 years ago (the battery has lasted at least five!!) with smaller batteries outlast similar thermometers got recently?

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Temperature gauge, thermometer.
Hygrometer Temperature Humidity Monitor Meter
Tridicators are common pressure gauges that measure temperature, pressure, and altitude. A gauge with temperature compensation has the ability to correct any ambient temperature variation. A thermostat is the temperature gauge. Thermometers
in glass with Mercury,employ capillary reaction to measure the temperature gradient.
So on and so forth. If you no the model number of your thermometer I can narrow down for you but in general they just made a them better back then and stuff you get now is well...I can't say it, this is a family site

drbuck187

Joined Aug 15, 2019
Temperature gauge, thermometer.
Hygrometer Temperature Humidity Monitor Meter
Tridicators are common pressure gauges that measure temperature, pressure, and altitude. A gauge with temperature compensation has the ability to correct any ambient temperature variation. A thermostat is the temperature gauge. Thermometers
in glass with Mercury,employ capillary reaction to measure the temperature gradient.
So on and so forth. If you no the model number of your thermometer I can narrow down for you but in general they just made a them better back then and stuff you get now is well...I can't say it, this is a family site
I couldn't see any model or anything (even checked under the batteries...) so...? And the quality has gone down, not up with any advances in making them?! :O

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
I have an outdoor thermometer that transmits its reading to the clock indoors. It sends a brief signal every 10 minutes. The batteries in that last about 2 or 3 years, not certain. But that's because it transmits very briefly and not constant. A unit that requires a longer transmission time and/or more frequently WILL use batteries faster.

drbuck187

Joined Aug 15, 2019
So ya get what you pay for I guess...
' do you know how to read schematics?' I can get buy if necessary, but I wasn't trying to figure out what individual components were at fault, just why is there so much difference? I would have thought it would have gotten better with better tech, not worse!! Thanks for the replies though!! :)