This is the end of the twinkie defense.

Six_Shooter

Joined Nov 10, 2012
Looks good on the union. :rolleyes:
This is exactly why I believe that all private sector unions be abolished.

There was a company in my city that was on strike for 4 or 5 years and finally closed down last year, because there was no progress being made.

Whatever happened to the days where if you didn't like your job situation, you found one that was more in line with what you wanted? Oh that's right, we're in an entitlement complex era now. :rolleyes:

I know too many people that have lost their jobs because a union screwed it up for them. There was a time when unions made sense, but now, there are other systems and rules in place.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Looks good on the union. :rolleyes:
This is exactly why I believe that all private sector unions be abolished.

There was a company in my city that was on strike for 4 or 5 years and finally closed down last year, because there was no progress being made.

Whatever happened to the days where if you didn't like your job situation, you found one that was more in line with what you wanted? Oh that's right, we're in an entitlement complex era now. :rolleyes:

I know too many people that have lost their jobs because a union screwed it up for them. There was a time when unions made sense, but now, there are other systems and rules in place.
Hmmmmm without the unions. Multiply worker deaths and illnesses by 100,000%. Cut salaries in half for workers, Triple it for corporate. Working with toxic gasses, go buy a gasmask. No overtime, hazard pay, night shift dif, workers comp, benefits of anykind. The list goes on and on. Its not like the unions aren't corrupt, their part of politics. But in the long run, 100 years ago we had 6 year old kids working 12 hours a day doing jobs to dangerous for adults because they couldn't fit inside this huge machine while its running. The Unions might need reeling in, but they exist for a reason.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hmmmmm without the unions. Multiply worker deaths and illnesses by 100,000%. Cut salaries in half for workers, Triple it for corporate. Working with toxic gasses, go buy a gasmask. No overtime, hazard pay, night shift dif, workers comp, benefits of anykind. The list goes on and on. Its not like the unions aren't corrupt, their part of politics. But in the long run, 100 years ago we had 6 year old kids working 12 hours a day doing jobs to dangerous for adults because they couldn't fit inside this huge machine while its running. The Unions might need reeling in, but they exist for a reason.
Name the last time someone dies in a non union shop in the US due to accident or illness.

You are living in the past.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Name the last time someone dies in a non union shop in the US due to accident or illness.

You are living in the past.
I should qualify that and say due to poor safety standards in the workplace. It's occurrence any more is rare and if it occurs it is quickly corrected. There are and should be government organizations to protect workers rights and their safety.

Six_Shooter

Joined Nov 10, 2012
I should qualify that and say due to poor safety standards in the workplace. It's occurrence any more is rare and if it occurs it is quickly corrected. There are and should be government organizations to protect workers rights and their safety.
Which is EXACTLY why private sector unions are no longer necessary in today's society.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
And if it wasn't for unions pushing for those government organizations they wouldn't be in place. ALL workers benefit from unions, even if you don't belong to one.

If you think big business would do things out of the goodness of their heart, your sadly mistaken.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
And if it wasn't for unions pushing for those government organizations they wouldn't be in place. ALL workers benefit from unions, even if you don't belong to one.

If you think big business would do things out of the goodness of their heart, your sadly mistaken.
The unions did a whole lot of good to the 18K people at Hostess didn't they?

From what I understand the company had a union nightmare. Something like 4 unions that had to deal with separately. Some of the work rule conditions put out by the unions were absurd.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
If you actually look into the facts behind the Twinky factory, you'll find that the problem was caused by one union. The other union involved were okay with the changes, but it was the National Baker's Union (something like that) which caused the problem.

So you want all unions removed because of one unions, one mistake?

With that logic, all 747's should be grounded because one once had a broken toilet flush.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
That is irrelevant. The business stress of dealing with 4 unions was going to do them in sooner or later. So they all make concessions now, you just push the nightmare down the road a bit.

I never said to remove all of the unions. But for a small company like hostess, there is no reason for 4 unions. Plus unions need to be reasonable of what is required of them. Long gone are the days when you had a guy assigned to installing light bulbs and another that could only remove light bulbs. This is pretty much what was going on at hostess.

And if only one union, it doesn't matter. That one union did in 18K people and a great company.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Some unions are retarded. Some are good. To generalize and say that no unions is a good policy is outright ignorance. The same can be said for having too many unions.

The fact of the matter is unions have helped to make industrial work much safer than it was without any unions, pre-1930s (in the US). Just ask any 9-year-old chimney sweep....

Six_Shooter

Joined Nov 10, 2012
Some unions are retarded. Some are good. To generalize and say that no unions is a good policy is outright ignorance. The same can be said for having too many unions.

The fact of the matter is unions have helped to make industrial work much safer than it was without any unions, pre-1930s (in the US). Just ask any 9-year-old chimney sweep....
That's my point, a long time ago unions made sense, now, they don't.

I have not heard of one union in the last 30 years push for anything safety related, not once, it's always been about less time worked, more holidays, more pay, more benefits, etc.

Unions have also had people re-hired, simply because they had union "protection", while every worker around them knew those people should not be working there, and agreed with the dismissal. The time for private sector unions has long past. I know of many people IN unions that would rather not be, they do so, only because they are forced to, either by job requirements, or pressure from other co-workers that are also in the a union.