This is a Mousebot. Somebody explain how it works! please.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
http://www.instructables.com/id/Mousebot-Revisited/

the problem is there are two Infrared emitters but I see no detectors. And what's up with the switch from the Mouse click?
Looks like he uses the emitter diodes as receivers (like photodiodes). He configured the LM386 to maximum gain, according to datasheet it should be 200 max, but maybe with the short between the gain terminals (1 and 8) its higher.

http://streettech.com/robotbook/circuitMousey.html

What do you mean by "what's up with the switch"?

nsach3

Joined Jul 27, 2011
i meant the switch he placed in the front of the device. Not the toggle switch. The one he detached from the mouse.
what is received by the emitter diodes? Can emitter diode receive a signal from nowhere? or does it receive the signals sent by itself?

I'm kinda new to the field.. so thanks for the reply.:)

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
i meant the switch he placed in the front of the device. Not the toggle switch. The one he detached from the mouse.

what is received by the emitter diodes? Can emitter diode receive a signal from nowhere? or does it receive the signals sent by itself?
The IR-LEDs detect the part of the ambient light they are sensitive to. Since there will never be a 100% equal light intensity on both sides a small difference will always exist, it's being amplified by the LM386.

The momentary switch he took out from the mouse he mounted at the front of the robot, it works as a collision detector. On collison it's supposed to reverse the robots direction.

nsach3

Joined Jul 27, 2011
Yeah that's what i also thought about that momentary switch. and that ambient light thing is new to me.. and if im right that's to keep the mouse from walls aside. is that so.

and one more thing the relays i found in the market have pins number from 1 to 8. but here he's got pin 11 and 13 and so. Is there any standard to recognize what is the NO and NC and what is Coil? Will it be okay if i use a 12v relay instead of 5?

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Yeah that's what i also thought about that momentary switch. and that ambient light thing is new to me.. and if im right that's to keep the mouse from walls aside. is that so.
Not necessarily. The robot will turn to where the light intensity is higher, may be a glass wall with a lamp behind it :)

and one more thing the relays i found in the market have pins number from 1 to 8. but here he's got pin 11 and 13 and so. Is there any standard to recognize what is the NO and NC and what is Coil? Will it be okay if i use a 12v relay instead of 5?
You better stay with the original specification of the relay, i.e. 5V coil voltage.
Where the coil is you can find out by measuring its resistance with an ohmmeter. How the contacts work you find out, by applying voltage to the coil.
Better: you consult the datasheet of the relay.