thinking of modding RC cars

609adam

Joined May 12, 2013
Hi I just signed up today and I was thinking of asking for a cluster of suggestions.

6 or 7 years ago my dads friend from America got me a Caddilac Escalade RC car. It was from a series of cars called RC ROLLERS and it was fun at the time time but now times have changed and im now 13 and wanting, to quote Jeremy Clarkson, "more POWERRRR".

Me and my dad took it apart during the Spanish F1 GP, not so each part is on the table, but just so we can see what we can do to it. It did have these RIDICULOUS looking splitters on the front and back making it look horrid, id rather look at a baboons arse lol! Anyway, I wad hoping you boffins would know of anythings I could do to it. We do have some plans though.

Our first idea is to put a better steering servo in it so I have fully functioning steering rather than it going lock to lock

The next idea is to convert it to run on battery packs, like what tamya use as I have loads of these lying around, ive probably got about 10 or 12.

We were going to put a 'manly' motor inside but the gearbox is as fragile as cottage cheese so if we did that it would need metal gears or a whole new gearbox alltogether.

Something were definitely doing is adding LED's, and lots of them! Were putting some in the head and taillights and also some in the boot or if your American, the Trunk, although through looking at it we found some slots for LED'S to live, so were assuming there was another version with more...bling. We will also put some in the wheelarches to make them shimmer and glow at night.

I haven't discussed it with my dad yet but if we can work out how to do it, or maybe get some help from you guys of how to make, we could add some blinkers for an added feel that its a real car. Maybe even some have working brakelights.

If you have any ideas to make it better of of how to do the blinkers then please post

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Our first idea is to put a better steering servo in it so I have fully functioning steering rather than it going lock to lock
This is called proportional steering. For this you have to modify the steering mechanism to use a servo motor. You will also have to replace the entire RC system with one that can control a servo.

The next idea is to convert it to run on battery packs, like what tamya use as I have loads of these lying around, ive probably got about 10 or 12.
What is the car currently powered with? Fuel or electric motor?

609adam

Joined May 12, 2013
Thanks for the comments

Firstly, the car is currently powered by a small electic motor, its effectivly something you'd find for about £20.

Secondly, the hydros thing will have to wait for a few years as that will be as hard as doing heart surgery whilst wearing boxing gloves :D