Thevenin Worksheet Problem #40

Red Bow Tie

Joined May 3, 2012
Am I correct in re-drawing the unbalanced bridge as 2 voltage dividers in parallel connected by the 2.7K resistor? Removing RL leaves me a circuit with 3 loops. Calculating branch currents and applying them to find Vth does indeed give me 7.6922 Volts.
But, how do I calculate Rth for this circuit? If I short out the 9V supply, it (I think) leaves me with the 1.5K and 3.3K in parallel. Is this correct? The 2.7K and 1K being in series produces a 3.7K that will be in parallel with the equivalent of the 1.5K and 3.3K? Now matter what I do I cannot come up with the textbook answer of Rth=766.84 ohms. I come up with roughly 806 ohms.
I'm obviously reading the resistors series/parallel combinations incorrectly. Can someone help me to correctly deduce Rth?

Red Bow Tie

Joined May 3, 2012
This is taken directly from the worksheet of Thevenin's Theorem on this site

Observe the following circuit:

Note that it is not reducible to a single resistance and power source. In other words, it is not a series-parallel combination circuit. And, while it is a bridge circuit, you are not able to simply analyze the resistor ratios because it is obviously not in a state of balance!
If you were asked to calculate voltage or current for any component in this circuit, it would be a difficult task . . . unless you know either Thévenin's or Norton's theorems, that is! Apply either one of these theorems to the determination of voltage across the 2.2 kΩ resistor.
Hint: consider the 2.2 kΩ resistor as the load in a Thévenin or Norton equivalent circuit.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Yes the answer seems to be for an entirely different problem.
The values I have are
VTh=3.375V
RTh=1.719k

Ok I missed it was for the 2.2k case.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Yes we are. I was in autopilot. I took it to be the standard bridge problem with the voltage across the 2.7k being of interest. You have the matter well in hand.

Red Bow Tie

Joined May 3, 2012
Thanks so much for the help. I had the exact same re-written circuit as your top image but somehow could not see how to re-write it into your bottom image. Thanks especially for including how you got to the bottom image re-writing the circuit yet again.