Thermocouple time response

firedamage

Joined Jun 17, 2013
Hi all, I am doing my project to improve the time constant of type- T thermocouple. The type-T thermocouple has exposed bead and is spot welded together ,conductors are 1/0.315 mm

Is there any way to improve type-T exposed bead thermocouple time response by modifying the thermocouple bead?

I have try to apply the lead using soldering iron to the thermocouple bead but the time response seems to be higher than the original bead( spot welded).

I have attach the type-T thermocouple technical sheets picture.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

firedamage

Joined Jun 17, 2013
hi ericgibbs, thank you for the reply.

Yes, i have to cut off the original 'fused' thermocouple junction and tried to use solder to make a junction. but the soldered bead time response is lower compared to the original 'fused' thermocouple junction.

The problem i can think of using solder for the bead is that you cant make the volume of the bead as small as the original 'fused' junction, so the time response of thermocouple that used solder will be higher due to larger volume.

Is there any other way create thermocouple junction?
l
thank you very much :)

firedamage

Joined Jun 17, 2013
hi sensacell,

the only options I have is to minimize the thermal mass and junction. As I noticed, the original junction(spot welded) is already very small, is there any way possible to make the junction/mass even smaller so that time response can be improved?

thanks

firedamage

Joined Jun 17, 2013
http://www.omega.com/temperature/Z/ThermocoupleResponseTime.html
butt welded..
in general..smaller the diameter the faster it will respond. junction grounding can decrease response time too..

Why is this even your project?.. project for what?.. what response time do you need?
Its all been done before and if omega hasn't done it there is no need to..
the thermocouple I am investigating is exposed bead thermocouple, thus its junction cannot be grounded..?

this is my master in mech engineering final year project.

The project aim is to investigate the relationship between different thermal masses with time response and improve its time constant.

The response time that I need should be smaller than the original junction ('fused') type-T exposed bead thermocouple which the technical sheet i have attach in the first post of this thread.
Any idea to make the bead smaller than the original(' spot welded') ? i have try soldering but does not work.

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi fd,
If I understand your application correctly.?
Why are you using a thermocouple for such a limited range of temperatures.?

Can you post the temperature range required.

E
EDIT:
Have you considered this method.?
Ref attachment

Attachments

Last edited:

firedamage

Joined Jun 17, 2013
The temperature required around 0 degree Celsius to 150 degree Celsius. I would like to use the thermistor you attached but I am bound to the project scope... that is to investigate the effect of thermal mass on time response of thermocouple and improve its time constant. I have already measured the time constant for the original (' spot welded') exposed bead thermocouple, now I am trying to minimize the thermal mass so that it's response time can be improved but I can't find any way to make it even smaller than the spot welded one...

Is there any other ways or methods to reduce the time response?

Thank you. You guys are helping me a lot

Sry for the bad English.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
butt weld > bead weld
butt weld = less mass than bead weld

Its YOUR final project... YOU are supposed to determine if there is a better way.. not by asking others.

Soldering is NOT how you join thermocouple wires.. Welding IS.