Thermal Glue

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hi guys.
Very recently I have bought high power LED's from china. As these led's requires heat sink to be mounted, most of them have holes.
But the 1W ones are too small to be screwed but it too gets a little hot so it too needs a tiny heat sink.
What is the best type of glue that I could use, for transferring heat as well as a strong bond between the Led and heat sink
Thanks

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
I use RS Components own brand 'thermally conductive adhesive', 850-984.

This is a two part type, paste plus solvent activator (ie. apply one to each surface).

It's an acrylic base adhesive & the other acrylics I have used have been classed as Structural, so I'd guess it is also a high strength one.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Loctite sells a variety of adhesives with good thermal conduction properties. I don't have a current catalog, but have used Loctite #383 and a repairable, weaker #384. If electrical conductivity is not a problem, I suspect a metal filled epoxy (like J-B Weld) might work well and be a lot cheaper.

There are undoubtedly other manufacturers out there. Those are just the two I have used where I needed adhesion and heat transfer.

John

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Here is how I did my 1W LED back when. The white stuff is thermal grease.

The red LED and diodes is a 1 W LED simulator, the circuit in the schematics below were for a pair of flashing lights.

I used 2 #6/32 screws, and drilled and tapped a old CPU (286) heatsink.

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Can you show us a datasheet of the power leds?
That might give a better idea on how to mount or glue them.

Bertus

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!.
Anybody...nobody.
No one has used glue. surely you must have...
c'mon

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I used bolts too with a thermal pad in between led and heatsink. It works fine on the unmounted ones like you have. You just have to find tiny bolts and it's probably best to use 3 so there is no chance of slippage.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!.
Anybody...nobody.
No one has used glue. surely you must have...
c'mon
I have used "glue" and gave you the part numbers plus another suggestion. Did you read that post?

Although a distinction can be made between "glue" and "adhesive," they are close enough.

John

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I have used "glue" and gave you the part numbers plus another suggestion. Did you read that post?

Although a distinction can be made between "glue" and "adhesive," they are close enough.

John
oh! my bad :D

but where can I get it

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
but where can I get it
Riffa are you going to change you name to Reefer?

You have no idea how to find a product supplier on the intro-net ?

Put the pipe down. ;)

If you need help getting something, PM me. (glue, not reefer)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
intro net? what the heck is that. :confused:
I did search but nothing solid came up and about master bond, I emailed to them what I need.
I do most of buying at ebay as the easiest and efficient way to pay is paypal for me, I cannot get to legit companies. So these kinda things are really hard u know. :(
What can you get me? retched.

And about name changing.. mod's doesn't like that. as i still have no reply about that.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I was just joking with the name changing.

JB-Weld and Loctite products are all over the place here.

IF you go to loctite website and find a product that meets or exceeds your requirements, let me know.

I can also send you a tube of JB Weld. You can put cars together with that stuff. ;)