There is a new semiconductor in town

jmoffat

Joined Jul 18, 2012
There is a new semiconductor in town and I didn't get the memo. Sicone carbide. Evidently they make IGBT's and MOSFET's in a new flavor, SiC. I haven't seen any mention of this in my text book. Where can I go to learn about these new age semiconductors?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Silicon carbide and germanium nitride and silicon germanium are the three emerging technologies for HEMT transistors and semiconductors.

HEMT stands for high electron mobility semiconductors. They are essentially low on-resistance devices. For CPUs, this allows speed well beyond the 3.4 GHz limit that we have plateaued at for the last 10 years in doped silicon. Expect to see speeds to 60 - 100 GHz range. IBM and intel are starting with Silicon Germanium for power efficiency and less heat. I don't know if the demand is there yet for high speed. More servers are generally the solution lately instead of faster servers.

For power transistors, it allows lower on-resistance and, therefore, smaller motor controls for eVehicles. More efficient inverters for solar farms and direct-drive wind turbines.

Also, higher switching speed in power transistors for SMPS, smaller, lighter transformers and inductors. Less heat dissipation from power supplies.

Gallium nitride is also used in high brightness LEDs.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Gallium nitride transistors are already available fro Digikey - made by EPC (efficient power conversion). A startup launched by the former CEO of international rectifier. There is some IP dispute between the two companies. IR will have their own GaN transistors shortly.

Austin Clark

Joined Dec 28, 2011
HEMT stands for high electron mobility semiconductors. They are essentially low on-resistance devices. For CPUs, this allows speed well beyond the 3.4 GHz limit that we have plateaued at for the last 10 years in doped silicon. Expect to see speeds to 60 - 100 GHz range.
Are you sure about that? At 60-100 GHz, light itself (whose speed is close to the maximum speed at which electrical signals can propagate) will only be able to travel 3-5mm . Also, how would that clock frequency likely be generated? I'm sure it's possible, maybe via transmission lines to "sync" the clock phase across the entire PCB? I dunno. It'd be crazy to see such high clock rates though, makes me excited for the future!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Are you sure about that? At 60-100 GHz, light itself (whose speed is close to the maximum speed at which electrical signals can propagate) will only be able to travel 3-5mm . Also, how would that clock frequency likely be generated? I'm sure it's possible, maybe via transmission lines to "sync" the clock phase across the entire PCB? I dunno. It'd be crazy to see such high clock rates though, makes me excited for the future!
Some products are already there. 60 GHz Ethernet bridge...

http://www.bridgewave.com/products/60ghz.cfm

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2030...anely-fast-future-of-wireless-networking.html

Rf micro devices sells GaN foundry services.

https://www.rfmd.com/openfoundry/process.aspx
>20 GHz with current technology.

Also, W-band microwave radar is up to 100 GHz
W-Band (allowed in some countries for parking assist & blind spot detection)

Last edited: