There ARE honest people in the world. Well maybe...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by spinnaker, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    So I went to the gym today. For whatever reason I kept my wallet with me. Usually I stash it in the car or lock it in the lock box.

Worked out a bit an started to walk out the door when I realized that my wallet was no longer on me. I looked everywhere. No wallet. Checked at the desk. Nope, no one turned it in.

I had forgotten I had used the wallet at the gym to buy a bottle of water. I walked back to the nearby grocery where I had been previous. No wallet.

Proceeded back to the gym, thinking I would take another look. I then remembered I bought water at the gym so the wallet had to be there or someone had it. Checked with the desk, no wallet. Checked around again no wallet.

Waited about 10 minutes or so to speak to the manger. Decided to not wait any longer so I drove home about 10 minutes away.

Reason for all of his story? The time you can imagine it took to do all of that. I was about to drive up to my home when I got a phone call. Someone turned in my wallet.

Now I wasn't in any place where it may have been hidden from my view the whole time I was searching. I only did like 3 stations all within close proximity of one another so I wasn't wandering around the gym. There was really no place it could have fallen hidden from view. It had to be on the floor somewhere.

Someone at that gym must have had my wallet some time before I realized it was missing. And they had it the whole time it took to do what I described. If I had found someone's wallet I would immediately stop what I was doing and take it to the front desk. At the very minimum finish my set then take it up.

Now make no mistake I am just glad I got it back. Part of me that believes in the basic honesty of people says that the person finding it just didn't think that the person that lost it would be freaked out looking for their wallet and took it to the desk when they were leaving. But the suspicious part of me makes me think they were going to keep it but then realized there are cameras about, had second thoughts and turned it in.

Well either way I am glad I got the wallet back and will try to be sure I don't do a dumb thing like that again. I will likely do some other dumb thing. ;)

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Yes. Once I used a pay phone at a busy intercity bus terminal and I left my wallet there. The person who found it did not take it to lost & found but sent me a letter in the mail (this was long before internet was invented) trying to reach me. The wallet and contents were returned. I gave the finder half of the cash that was in it.

3. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Thus it seems even so maligned a 'regime' as 'The Surveillance State' isn't entirely without a silver lining!
    Well hey! An 'un-lightened' (albeit it dilatory) recovery is almost as good as it never having happened!:)

Exactly!:cool:

Join the club:oops:

Best regards
    HP:)

4. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Such a cynical outlook. Character is what you do when no one is looking.

It would never occur to me to not return a lost item to its owner, regardless of its value.

It's both my hope and experience that most others feel the same way.

Aleph(0), Sinus23, justtrying and 2 others like this.
  5. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Exactly! 'Virtue' is not 'resisting temptation' -- It's not experiencing temptation in the first place!

Best regards
    HP:cool:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Aleph(0) likes this.
  6. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Nah, everyone experiences temptation. And if I were to take your sentiment to heart, I would just act on every impulse; after all, if I've already experienced the temptation then my virtue is already compromised. What's then to stop me from acting on my temptation?

GopherT likes this.
  7. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Might want to cancel your cards. He might have taken the wallet to the bathroom and recorded all you card numbers.

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  8. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009

As I would return it. And do so as quickly as possible, even if inconvenient to me. That is my point.

The question is why did this person wait so long to return the wallet?

9. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009

Doubtful. They would have taken the cash then too.

Aleph(0) likes this.
  10. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    There would be a smoking gun if they took the cash.

You drop the wallet with cash in it, they return it without cash, they obviously took the cash.

You drop the wallet with cash in it, they return it with cash still in it, they're given a hero's welcome, everybody goes home happy. 4 months later your card is used for an online shopping spree and there's no evidence that points to them. It's more likely that your card info was compromised online, or that you put it into a gas pump skimmer, so you don't even make the connection. And if you do, and you confront this person, you're an a-hole questioning the integrity of a hero.

11. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    I had another idea. Someone turned it in immediately. Since it was a wallet, it was either given directly to the manager. She got occupied with a prospective new member (which she was the whole time I was waiting) and never said anything. It was with her the whole time.

12. tcmtech

Distinguished Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Now see what sort of stress getting exercise made for you? :oops:

Shoulda stayed home and watched movie or played around online!:p

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/gym-accident-statistics.html?redesigned=1

Nearly half a million people sustain injuries from exercise every year. Some even die as well.:eek:

Where's the social outrage for that? :confused:

Forget losing your wallet, what if you had been injured or died? Is exercise with it? I THINK NOT!

Stay home, watch that movie and eat that extra large pizza all by yourself because if it kills you people will won't be left thinking you wasted your life needlessly trying to be healthy, and it's cheaper than gym membership too. :(

Plus if you wallet does goes missing it's probably just under the couch cushions. ;)

13. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    It doesn't matter, it's in the past, Symba.

justtrying and spinnaker like this.
  14. Raymond Genovese

Mar 5, 2016
    Yeah, absolutely obvious. Oh wait, what if someone sees the wallet, takes the cash and leaves the wallet. Then, someone sees the wallet and returns it?

Aleph(0) and Hypatia's Protege like this.
  15. Raymond Genovese

Mar 5, 2016
    That's one question. Another is how you have the ability to weave entire complex scenarios about what actually happened that somehow end up in the same place - someone didn't do what you think they should have done.

For crying out loud man, by your own admission, you couldn't remember whether you bought a bottle of water at a grocer on the way to the gym or at the gym!

What did you think - that there would be a new kind of "amber alert" the moment a normal and honest person returned your wallet? Perhaps the gym should have had immediately gone into lock down with announcements over the loud speakers and door to door searches for a guy who lost his wallet?

You lost your wallet <-- your fault. You got your wallet back<--because at least two people were honest and kind. Why is it necessary for you to understand the chain of custody, and somehow disparage the kindness of others, for every moment when you have none of those facts?

tcmtech and joeyd999 like this.
  16. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009

Not what I wrote.

You are WAY more upset over this whole thing than I am.

It was simply a question on why some people do what they do. Chill out.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    GopherT likes this.
  17. OBW0549

Distinguished Member

Mar 2, 2015
    I actually believe that most people are honest, decent, and will do the right thing if given the opportunity.

Aleph(0) likes this.
  18. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Man, what the heck happened here? I don't even know what set off this explosion of negativity. I thought we were discussing what might have happened in the 20-or-so minutes the wallet was missing.

Aleph(0) and Sinus23 like this.
  19. Raymond Genovese

Mar 5, 2016

Yes, you are quite right. It is I who should apologize for being “Way” too upset. In view of this incontrovertible fact, I hereby apologize, to you and all others, for my errant ways. Apparently, there is simply no end to the injustice you must endure when losing your wallet and getting it back intact.

Except, I am not upset and I know where my wallet is at.

Seriously though, let us not quibble on this fine Thanksgiving Day, where we especially give thanks and count our blessings - that we should count every day.

Soon I shall be off to a gathering of friends (about 20-25) to enjoy the day. I am going to bring a Pesto appetizer. I used basil, which I grew. Garlic which was grown by a friend and which I roasted. Reggiano Parmesan (one of the finest cheeses in the world, IMO). Extra virgin olive oil and, of course, pine nuts. Got the proportions right and it is tasty!

I had to press to bring anything at all as the hostess insists on taking care of the whole meal (she does have some help).

It is my sincere hope that you too will enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner with family and/or friends. Moreover, I hope it is a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner. One with Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, yams, and all the other goodies.

But dude, try not to blame the Turkey for anything - it is already dead. ;)

spinnaker likes this.
  20. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Happy thanksgiving! May we all enjoy the holiday with wallets in known locations and credit cards & identities uncompromised.

Sinus23, tcmtech and OBW0549 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.