There A Health Clinic Near You-Google The Hill Burton Act

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Jimkeith,call the toll free Washington number and tell them the clinics
are taking there money and not giving service.That why I posted this the
local people would never want you to know about this..Sorry you have
had this bad experience. Disablity you know how to go......what we are doing
is testing,try making an appointment,call your congressman,I doubt he
ever heard of this law. Lets try to make it work,I'm sure you got the video phone
use it.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I can't load the links.

They must have been CENSORED!!!:eek:
Ask DeStorm8, how to do it ,he found it.
Do a google search for "hill burton act", and choose the one from hrsa.gov. It should be right near the top. Cambridgeshire isn't in the United States, is it? It may not show up for you. A friend of mine went to Ireland recently, and he told me that many of the interactive sites in the US don't work over there.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
All public hospitals (not Religious based hospitals, though they are often MORE giving than below) are required to treat anybody at the emergency room, regardless of insurance or income.

Keep that in mind if you don't already have insurance and have a bad accident.

You WILL get a bill, but in over 80% of the cases, if you fill out their paperwork and proof of income, they will write off 100% of the cost if you are shown to be essentially broke. e.g. Zero money left after house payments, electricity, telephone, even cable and car payments and child support. If you have more than $5k/year above those minimums, they will work out a program where they knock off 90% of the cost, and you pay $15/month for a year and they call it even.

Emergency care IS DIFFERENT than "I have a cough and would like cough syrup". That is what the local "Free Clinic", which the link provides above will provide. There is an extremely strong tendency for them to be in the parts of town where you wouldn't feel comfortable walking down the street unarmed, however.

This has been in effect since the mid 1990's, and many people do not know about it. The Federal .gov reimburses the hospitals each year if the hospital provides the paperwork you submit (they also compare it to your tax return, BTW). Up to something like 2 million per hospital. Since the government is paying them, that's why Catholic and other "religious" hospitals aren't part of the program, they didn't want to cross the church/state line. At the same time, Catholic hospitals tend to be just as generous, and give just as good of care as a well insured person even if you cannot afford it. You still do the paperwork, and they will sometimes write it all off, unless it resulted in an actual hospital room stay, then you need to pay like 10% of the cost over a generously long period of time. Basically, better than my insurance plan gives.

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
All public hospitals (not Religious based hospitals, though they are often MORE giving than below) are required to treat anybody at the emergency room, regardless of insurance or income.

Keep that in mind if you don't already have insurance and have a bad accident.

You WILL get a bill, but in over 80% of the cases, if you fill out their paperwork and proof of income, they will write off 100% of the cost if you are shown to be essentially broke. e.g. Zero money left after house payments, electricity, telephone, even cable and car payments and child support. If you have more than $5k/year above those minimums, they will work out a program where they knock off 90% of the cost, and you pay $15/month for a year and they call it even.

Emergency care IS DIFFERENT than "I have a cough and would like cough syrup". That is what the local "Free Clinic", which the link provides above will provide. There is an extremely strong tendency for them to be in the parts of town where you wouldn't feel comfortable walking down the street unarmed, however.

This has been in effect since the mid 1990's, and many people do not know about it. The Federal .gov reimburses the hospitals each year if the hospital provides the paperwork you submit (they also compare it to your tax return, BTW). Up to something like 2 million per hospital. Since the government is paying them, that's why Catholic and other "religious" hospitals aren't part of the program, they didn't want to cross the church/state line. At the same time, Catholic hospitals tend to be just as generous, and give just as good of care as a well insured person even if you cannot afford it. You still do the paperwork, and they will sometimes write it all off, unless it resulted in an actual hospital room stay, then you need to pay like 10% of the cost over a generously long period of time. Basically, better than my insurance plan gives.
I know this from experience:) When I retired lost health care. Had two strokes and had to go in hospital, filled out the paper work and stayed five days at no charge. Except paying for the doctors. It was the local Catholic hospital

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
This outfit gave Fla $14 billion in 2010,on the web site,you guys are good.
You can find a map click on any state give you the total and a good break
down expenses.The object is to make these clinic's more accountable,the
more guys that ,make an appointment...get nurses name..the doctor
name and the name of the rude staff,that a given. To account for the money
they are spending (wasteing) . A lot of bucks since the 70's,just think of the
stuff we don't know about. That guy on T.V. yelling he could tell you how to get
every thing free from the government knew what he was talking about,he give
up he not on T.V. anymore.I going to get a copy of the book,if you rememmber
give me link. Loosewire

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I know this from experience:) When I retired lost health care. Had two strokes and had to go in hospital, filled out the paper work and stayed five days at no charge. Except paying for the doctors. It was the local Catholic hospital
It also covers what your insurance won't pay, for example, if you have health insurance from wife or something, but cannot afford the 20 grand insurance didn't cover, the same financial distress forms can be filled out and are often written down or completely off. This is only for incomes where paying rent, utilities, maintaining a car to drive around, and eating takes up nearly all of your income, not for people able to pay, but unwilling.

Things like this that have been around forever, in addition to the free clinics in nearly every city, that the "nationwide free healthcare" is a bit redundant and stupid. The poor people will still get the same treatment. However, those with the ability to pay, will also get the same minimal to moderate treatment (very decent, but limited on time in hospital, sometimes with rude doctors who don't like the way it is run, but need a job anyway). It turns healthcare into an assembly line patch and punt, rather than doctors who care.