Theory about AC - AC Converter

Thread Starter


Joined Aug 31, 2012
Hi all from Greece. I have to design a system which has these specifications:

a) Input Voltage 220 Volts and 50 Hz

b) Output Voltage 117 Volts and 60 Hz

c) SPWM control

d) The RMS of the Input Voltage has + - 10% fluctuations (or variances).

I cannot use transformer.

Can you help me? Can you suggest me a good free site on Internet for studying this subject? Thank you.


Joined Feb 24, 2006
A transformer is the only safe way to do it and this thread will likely be closed by the moderators according to the TOS.


Joined Nov 30, 2010
An isolation transformer is required by the terms of this website but, you can't "bend" the frequency of the 50 HZ supply with a transformer. This will have to go through rectification to DC and that DC changed to 60 Hz, then through a transformer to get to 117 VAC, RMS.


Joined Mar 24, 2008
This thread is indeed on shaky ground. Let's assume you have a transformer somewhere (otherwise I or another moderator will have to close the thread). What is the 120VAC output current need to be?