The transistor as a switch errors

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Happened across this E-book page:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_4/2.html

The first Figure (c) is incorrect. The PNP transistor will act as a voltage follower (common collector) rather than a switch. The load (lamp) needs to be between the source negative side and the transistor's collector.

Re-use of figure letters on the same page is not a good idea, as it can lead to confusion.

The 2nd figure (a) and (b) are not correct. The transistor will not saturate; Vce will not go below around 0.63v, or the Vf of the BE junction.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
This was brought up a long while back. I tend to agree with Wookie on this one.

(c) needs the transistor and the battery flipped.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
I'm sorry Bill, my mistake.

Its my poor understanding of the word "filpped" that has caused all the trouble.

I had taken it to mean "swapped" but then I realise there is difference between flipped and swapped.

See, I have made the same mistake again above in the reply: quoting myself:

eblc1388 said:
(c) needs the transistor and lamp flipped, as below.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
No problem, writing text doesn't let nuances that speech does come through.

I think we are all agreed, problem verified.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
OK, addressing on the following page:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_4/2.html

The 2nd figure (a) and (b) are not correct. The transistor will not saturate; Vce will not go below around 0.63v, or the Vf of the BE junction.
Existing image:

Proposed change:

At that particular stage, it may simply confuse a new reader to introduce the concept of Ib=(Vcc-Vbe)/(Ic/10) for forced beta. However, it's rather incorrect to call a transistor saturated, when the original circuit's Vbe could be reduced by increasing Ib.

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I think if you look again that problem has been fixed.

Compare the illustrations shown at the beginning of this thread to the current ones.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Sheesh, I missed post #10. I think Sarge has nailed it again. Should have been in a different thread, but it is a problem.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I just sent a note to Dcrunkilton to ask him to review and update the page.

Hopefully, he will update the schematics and at the same time correct the figure numbers, so that there are not duplicate references to (a) and (b) on the same page.

Dcrunkilton

Joined Jul 31, 2004
Existing image:

Proposed change:

At that particular stage, it may simply confuse a new reader to introduce the concept of Ib=(Vcc-Vbe)/(Ic/10) for forced beta. However, it's rather incorrect to call a transistor saturated, when the original circuit's Vbe could be reduced by increasing Ib.
Thanks SgtWookie,

I have changed the image at ibiblio (03078.png 03078.eps)

I don't think that changed images at ibiblio get detected (like changed text) . Therefore, we may need to inform Dave or Jjrap of the changed image.

Dennis Crunkilton