The Royal Mail

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I don't beleive I ever received mail post marked ,Royal Mail.
I'm sure in the U.k. it's an every day event.The title just sounded
very elegant.Can someone post a picture of there post mark.
How many U.K. countries does It serve.I like to watch the B.B.C.
news,you get apoint of view that the U.S. news fails to present.

Blackbull

Joined Jul 26, 2008
Royal Mail serves all the British Isles except the Republic of Ireland. The British Isles consists of most of the islands to the west of mainland Europe from Norway down to France and (excluding the Republic of Ireland) are subjected to the Crown (United Kingdom). Great Britain = England, Scotland and Wales, although Wales is actually a principality under Prince Charles. Royal Mail was set up in 1840 by Roland Hill; there had been postal services since the year dot, but this was unique in so much as delivery was pre-paid with a stamp and a letter could be sent anywhere in the country for one price (1 penny) no matter how remote. The point I am trying to make is that the Victorians knew that it would be difficult to make a profit, otherwise with their laissez faire attitude it wouldn’t have been run by the Government. They also had other ways of making money, when I was a lad a document or a receipt over a small amount wasn’t legal unless signed over a postage stamp, a sort of tax. This universal postal system was copied around the world, and for the same reason American internet URL’s don’t have dot USA, British postage stamps do not have the country’s name on them; they were both firsts. Several of the British Islands are autonomous under the Crown and do have names on their stamps (Jersey, Guernsey, Isles of Man) The Universal Postal Union set up in 1874 allowed for international mail. RMS Titanic (Royal Mail Ship) carried post across the Atlantic, it was still being sorted by Royal Mail staff when the ship sank. RM isn’t perfect but it is a victim of the new Soviet Union (the European Union) along with the inland steel industry, fishing industry, dairy farming etc. etc.- destroyed by diktats. RM cannot be subsidised by the government.