The right to repair...

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hi,

Sometimes I wonder if using these "tamper proof" screws has the opposite effect of what was intended. They seem to challenge people to try to get them out, and they certainly do not stop the people that know how to fix things already, and those are the people who would want to get them out. So who are they stopping.
That was my question. Whom is it suppose to stop?
Considering that bits for removing tamper proof fasteners are easily available.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
The head of the screw was deeply recessed in a hole. There was no opportunity to grab it from the sides.
I had to make a tool that fitted the slots.
I had a device like this too which had screw heads that were very weird and they were recessed so there was no access except with a special tool, and I had to wonder if there even was such a tool. This made them more like rivets than screws. I did not need to get them out right away so I did not remove them, but because they were more like rivets I would have drilled them out, which still would render the screws ineffective. It it was very important to remove them and even that would not work (maybe hardened steel) I would have cut through the plastic case with a Dremel tool in places just around the plastic recess. I had to do this one time with a can opener that started making a very loud grinding noise after only one or two uses. There are many ways to repair the device after that too such as epoxy. The can opener had no grease on the gears that was the main problem. I did get a 50 percent refund.
A big pain in the butt, but I like to fix things too not throw them out. It's also interesting sometimes to see what they used inside.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Oh right, ha ha ha, that makes it even nuttier. Maybe these screws are for the super dummies out there with a butter knife and a hangover from the night before :)

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Lawyers. They're sort of like vampires but are stopped by a special screw [Deleted by moderator].

Last edited by a moderator: