The Police in Court

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hi all,

I was watching the news, when a court sketch came up, and I was wondering if anyone can explain why police officers put their hands in their vests here?

Many thanks,

Sparky

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
For out of condition court officers who rarely wear heavy body armor, that posture changes the way the muscles and skeleton carry the weight and it feels less fatiguing. It also reduces blood pooling and swelling in the hands which preserves their ability to use tools and weapons quickly if necessary.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
to "Illustrate" they are wearing vest's. I'm sure its artistic license. I'm sure they weren't standing like that. They always just tell you bend you knees when standing a long time so you don't pass out. But really look at it. Without the hands like that they could be tank tops. By having their hands like that it clearly shows their wearing vests. I think its just artistic license. Notice none of the other background guys are doing it?

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Nope, the reporters even mentioned it.

These sketches are usually very accurate, as we cannot have cameras inside our courtrooms. We actually have very strict rules, as the artist cannot even draw whilst in the court! They take many notes though.

P.S. This isn't one of the better artists - I'll try to find the one we are used to.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
They could be taking advanage of the cool air in the court house,that stuff

is hot,but they have to look macho. I do that to open space for cold air to

get to my under shirt that is sticking to my body with sweat.

Last edited:

DumboFixer

Joined Feb 10, 2009
It's probably done for comfort as they can hardly stick their hands in their pockets. It also means they have one hand very close to their radio should they need to use it (like the urgent assistance needed button).

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Not an uncommon pose when wearing a heavier vest as it helps redistribute the wieght about the shoulders. I do agree there is an artistic side though. Every officer is looking at the person of interest, while I suspect they are there to protect them, and would be directing thier attention toward the potential source of aggression.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Pretty similar to the position you use when walking with a heavy backpack.

The difference is that your arms are crossed on your chest.

From my experience in the hills of Córdoba (Argentina), walking several Km every day.

No way to walk with your arms down (or whatever you call that in English...) if your pace is fast and steady.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Yeah, but that's because the backpack is pulling you back and you place your arms in front of your CG to counteract it.
I don't think that vests do the same. I put my money on the blood-pressure thing.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I researched it a bit. Seems to be for comfort. Many said they rest their hands either between their armpits, on their gun, or if the vest is heavy they pull on the front like that. All of em when asked why they stand like that said comfort and vests have no pockets so they can't get caught on a door in a warrant or something.

^This info came from some police forums and sites.