The measuring of the phantom load

SmashKPI

Joined Dec 7, 2019
Hello everybody,
I am working on the project which basically should measure the phantom load of the chosen device. How can I measure the input voltage and current without ampere/voltage/multimeters? Is there advice about how to do it? Thanks!

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
You can't! Phantom Load refers to Power used by a device that is plugged in but "turned off". Modern devices, even when "turned off" may still be driving a clock, powering LEDs, powering volatile memory, etc. and thus still consuming Power. Power is sold by the kWh. You can't derive Watts without Volts, Amps, Ohms and the only way to measure them is by metering them. Welcome to AAC!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hello everybody,
I am working on the project which basically should measure the phantom load of the chosen device. How can I measure the input voltage and current without ampere/voltage/multimeters? Is there advice about how to do it? Thanks!
I'm curious to know why you think this is possible. Did you just start a new job and the boss decided to engage in a bit of hazing?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I got to spend a whole day working on a terminal that displayed typed characters right to left, top to bottom. The older engineers had a good laugh, until I pointed out that there actually were languages that worked that way. Hmmmmm.

SmashKPI

Joined Dec 7, 2019
I'm curious to know why you think this is possible. Did you just start a new job and the boss decided to engage in a bit of hazing?
This is my capstone project. I am trying to find out the way to do it for a couple of days, so I decided to cheat on it and ask here:) I hope that there is an answer to my question.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Well if he was intelligent enough maybe he could do some applied circuit analysis to find the theoretically calculated values of the "phantom load" for each device in the house. I got the impression he is too ignorant and lazy to do that. But then, who am I to judge. I do have a sneaking suspicion as to who this "new member" actually is.

SmashKPI

Joined Dec 7, 2019
Well if he was intelligent enough maybe he could do some applied circuit analysis to find the theoretically calculated values of the "phantom load" for each device in the house. I got the impression he is too ignorant and lazy to do that. But then, who am I to judge. I do have a sneaking suspicion as to who this "new member" actually is.
I do not why I impressed you like this, so I am sorry if something is wrong. Me and my team spent a couple of days to find the answer out and I used this thread as a last resort. What was the reason to think about me in this way?