The Impedance question of speaker from a total noob!

Krazyk

Joined Aug 11, 2019
A loudspeaker resonates at a low frequency. The output impedance of a modern audio amplifier is an extremely low resistance (less than 0.04 ohms) that damps the resonance. Speakers in series produce a small amount of "boomy" sound (like a bongo drum) because the resonance is not properly damped.

Small amount? Like only perceivable to a very well tuned ear small? I'm just getting started in diy speaker building Audioguru so I'm trying to mimic a sponge the best I can and soak everything up. It is a ton of information though!!! I'm also kind of flying blind because I don't own a computer therefore no CAD or testing ability for me. I guess you could say I'm doing it old school??. Anyways it's great to hear from a audiophile I was beginning to think there wasn't any around these parts. I just completed my first build and I'm proud to say it's all me. My design and my ability. It's definitely not a kit to say the least! So I feel pretty good about the quality I have achieved even without seeing it on a graph. All that being said it would be kind to even call me a hobbyist at this point and I'm also far from an audiophile. I am a proud and unapologetic Basshead, but with that being said I do not disregard overall audio quality. I just like my music seasoned a little different than some do. Hope to hear from you again soon and thanks for sharing the information. Here is my rookie build. I still gotta slap a little lipstick on the old pig but she sounds good to me and I guess that's all that matters in the long run. Plus I learned A LOT from trial and error. One thing I definitely learned is not to use car audio components! I mean there is nothing wrong with them at all. This sounds amazing with over half car audio components in it, but I could have accomplished more for less $ by going in a different direction. Lesson learned..... Hopefully I gain enough knowledge to be capable of doing my dream build someday the driver for it is the thumbnail. I want to put that in a MLTL enclosure! It will be a huge enclosure but I can't imagine the sound that will come from it!!
Screenshot_20190813-033832.png IMG_20190813_032101-01.jpeg

View attachment 183788

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Two speakers side-to-side like you show produce a bad concentration of sounds straight ahead because if you listen a little at one side then the distances are different and the phase of some frequencies causes sound cancellation.

Two speakers above and below like you show produce a bad concentration of sounds straight ahead because if you listen a little above or below then the distances are different and the phase of some frequencies cause sound cancellation.

Why use multiple speakers? A single speaker produces even sounds to the sides and above and below for its range of frequencies. Your speakers look like they are little woofers for mid-low frequencies. Poor at very low frequencies and poor at high frequencies.

A single speaker does a poor job of producing all frequencies. If it produces low frequencies well then it will shriek at mid-high frequencies but not produce very high audio frequencies. If it produces high frequencies well then it is fragile and low frequencies will destroy it.

A good speaker system has a woofer for low frequencies, a tweeter for high frequencies and a crossover network or circuit. Sometimes a midrange speaker is added.

You do not need a huge enclosure if you select a woofer that performs well in the enclosure type and size that its manufacturer recommends.

Krazyk

Joined Aug 11, 2019
Thanks for your input. As I said I am fairly intelligent but new to this. This was not built as a hifi application. It was built as a portable party box and it accomplishes it's purpose extremely well. The bottom speaker is a 8 inch bass reflex Sub. And it performs admirably in the lower frequencies. The two middle speakers are indeed midbass drivers each are located in their own .25ft³ sealed enclosure. They are highly efficient and effective from 60hz all the way to about 4000hz. The top is a cheap supposed midbass that is handling the highs along with some vintage 5in highs I had lying around. This setup is not ideal and I never said it was, but it serves it's intended purpose. But once again thanks for your condescending comment I won't let it happen again.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You should not connect midrange and subwoofer speakers in series.
They should be connected in parallel with proper crossover networks.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Every party I have attended (even portable parties in parks) used a proper hifi sound system. The little sound system I made for the beach was also hifi.
The speakers were not in series so the damping factor was perfect. The speakers were not side-by-side nor one above the other for wide directionality. The woofers did not shriek their mid-high "cone breakup frequency" because a crossover circuit and good tweeters played good high frequencies.