the first step onto square on in electronics

themetalspork

Joined Dec 6, 2009
Right, brass tacks, then...
I've been working on a leg mounted container for which to carry candy around in for a friend of mine.
After many attempts at jury-rigging a mechanical open/close mechanism on the pixie-stix drawer, with a few successes, my fascination with push button technology got the better of me.

I have zero experience with electronics aside from making a flashlight with two wires, two bits of tape, a tiny bulb, and a AA battery when I was 6.

My aim is to have one momentary push button that triggers a small motor to go clockwise, and one momentary push button to trigger that same small motor to go counter clockwise.
This will create the motion I need to open and close the box via the gear shaft on the motor and the gear strip on the internal box.
There is a pin catch to keep the internal box from falling out when open.
The motor is a small little doodad I got from Radio Shack. I've got another tiny motor as well that I think I scavenged out of a dead hand held label maker.
I really don't want the drawer to shoot out across the room when it is being opened (at least not yet) so is there some way to regulate or dumb down the motor speed?
my current inventory of electronic bits piled before me are:
x2 Tiny motors
x3 Small momentary poke button 'closed' switches. (I got these first. An hour later, I sacrificed one to the frustration gods and then discovered not all push button switches turn stuff on o_O)
x4 Small momentary poke button 'open' switches
x1 On/off rocker switch
x1 On/off toggle switch
x1 2 AA Battery holder

Your use of small words, lay-mans terms, and pretty pictures are greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
ajosh

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, this is really just about what you need....

You'll need a couple of single-pole double-throw relays, though...

Not sure where you can find relays that will operate on 3v.

If your motors are little high-speed motors, they will have no torque if you try to slow them down.

The easiest way to slow them down is by using a resistor. However, you wind up with a very slow, weak motor and a hot resistor.

Attachments

Last edited: