The, Everything inductor question.

EPhantom

Joined Oct 12, 2009
So I'm new here, I am a sophomore in college that is a little obsessed with Electronics (brought here by a professor), and I have been wanting to do a ton of projects but am unable to due to lack of knowledge. I was wondering if someone could give me information (or the location of a place to obtain the information) about inductors. Not just how they alter a signal as it passes through it (as I noticed the other section of this site has) but also about the magnetic field that passes though/parallel to it.

I have been wanting to create some devices that require solenoids and motors, but the ones that I would need would be on a MUCH larger scale than anyone would be willing to make. (IE I can't buy them) :(

So I don't know anything about how thick wires would need to be, what frequencies would need to be sent through them, how long they can run, or anything like that.

I was also hoping that I would be able to get some information about how magnetic fields interact with each other. I have asked some physics professors here and didn't get anything out of them. :(

(currently in digital electronics and retaking calculus, though I have high school experience in electronics)

Thank you in advance.

EPhantom

Joined Oct 12, 2009
One thing that I want to make is a large thrust fan... It's for a really weird project. It would need to be able to generate anywhere from 75 to 200 pounds of thrust...

I also want to be able to make my own solenoids for a coil gun project that a friend and I want to make. We want to make it so a solenoid turns off as the projectile gets to the edge of a coil.

Another is to create a levitation inductance melter that can very intensity and frequency.

IE: starter projects so I can work on whatever I want later on and know what I'm doing.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Your first paragraph; there are commercially available motors in a very wide range of power inputs and outputs. Trying to "roll your own" would be far more expensive and time-consuming than picking up something that was available off-the-shelf. I suggest that you investigate surplus/salvage type companies; you might wind up with a real deal on a motor.

Your 2nd paragraph:
Please review the board policies, posted here:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/announcement.php?f=5&a=3
We can't allow discussions on anything more hazardous than a solenoid-actuated doorbell or automatic golf ball return out of concerns for safety. Sorry, but if you want to pursue such discussion, you'll need to take it elsewhere.

Levitation inductance melter - well, that's an interesting concept, but will take a heck of a lot of energy, most likely at radio frequencies. Not a topic for beginners.

Like everything else, you have to start with the basics.

notxjack

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Sounds like you need 100cc's of Maxwell's Equations, STAT.

Edit: For Linear Accelerators (railgun), I'd suggest making a 2 or 3 stage accelerator and just playing with it. Be careful about what you put through it, though. I built a 10 stage railgun in highschool that could put a nail through a brick.

This is also the same concept used (combined with waveforms/waveguilds) in the production of particle accelerators!

Thav

Joined Oct 13, 2009
Sounds like you need 100cc's of Maxwell's Equations, STAT.
This. If you really want to get into inductor work you should have a strong background in vector calculus and take an electromagnetics course. It's a hugely complicated field and at least for me required a lot of practice before I gained any intuition about it at all.

EPhantom

Joined Oct 12, 2009
I will have to read over the board policies later so that won't happen again, sorry.

The problem with the thrust fan is that I want the motor to be outside of the blades, and I haven't seen one of these fans in existence yet.

And I know the inductance levitator requires a lot of knowledge, and that's why I want to build it.

If the board policies page doesn't supply me with enough info, I may just send messages to mods or the admin asking if a topic is acceptable, some projects that i want to work on I would consider safe, but others wouldn't.