Reactionless drives...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
No surprise... NASA seems to be questioning the results of the experiment:
You would hope so. New physics or Diet physics, that is the question.

From the base article of the Futurism link.

http://today.uconn.edu/2016/12/the-em-drive-science-fact-or-science-fiction/
Q. What’s behind all the skepticism about the EM Drive, and what’s your take on all of this?

A. Although the EM Drive appeared to create thrust in these tests, there was no mass or particles of any kind expelled during the process. This is a violation of Newton’s third law of motion, which says that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Action and reaction is a direct result of the conservation of momentum. The violation of such a basic law as the conservation of momentum would invalidate much of the basis for all of physics as we know it.
Q. The fact that NASA’s research has passed peer review is being heralded as a major step. What exactly does the peer approval mean in the context of ongoing research?

A. Peer review is important, since it means that other experts have reviewed the work, and the results are professional and important enough to distribute to others in the community. It does not mean, however, that the reviewers consider the results valid. A reviewer of the journal paper that I spoke with before the paper was submitted does not believe the results point to any new physics. But that person felt the results are puzzling enough to publish.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Truth being told, I don't trust the Chinese much... but then again, who knows?:

http://www.iflscience.com/space/china-has-apparently-been-testing-the-emdrive-in-space/

China has apparently been testing out EmDrive technology for the last five years. That’s according to an article titled “Electromagnetic drive: Arabian Nights or a major breakthrough” in the official newspaper of China’s Ministry of Science and Technology, called Science and Technology Daily.

And the Chinese Academy of Space Technology (CAST) reportedly held a press conference in Beijing last week to discuss their research.

“National research institutions in recent years have carried out a series of long-term, repeated tests on the EmDrive,” Dr Chen Yue, head of the communication satellite division at CAST, said at the press conference, reported IBTimes UK. “We have successfully developed several specifications of multiple prototype principles.”

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Click-bait, not worth the effort. IMO they are really testing ION DRIVES if any testing of 'electric' (hall effect thrusters, etc ...) drives are happening in space.

Something really interesting from IFLScience that might have origins in China:
http://www.iflscience.com/editors-blog/hole-businessmen-selling-plastic-rice-nigeria/

While it is not yet known where the fake rice came from, some are beginning to point the finger at China, where similar products have been found recently.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
He described a lot of the testing and how the results are conclusive -- well outside any conceivable margins of error.

While I remain unconvinced, he is clearly sold on the experimental results.
I guess that what remains now is for other teams to replicate their experiments... both skeptics and believers alike are gonna have to wait and see... I truly hope this is not another cold fusion conundrum...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Skepticism is a good response as a functional em drive is somewhere between impossible and highly improbable.
True... and btw Nsa, I did watch the complete video that @RichardO linked in post #147. And thanks to that, I finally understand why all the objections to its feasibility. Yes, the theory as it currently stands implies an overunity device, and that is a big no-no.

What the current situation tells me is that:
  1. The device doesn't work, and the teams conducting the experiments have made systemic errors that have gone undetected so far.
  2. The device works, and the theory as it stands is simply wrong. So a new theory has to be developed to explain its behavior.

I consider myself a skeptic too... but then again, definitive proof of anything works both ways.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
He described a lot of the testing and how the results are conclusive -- well outside any conceivable margins of error.

While I remain unconvinced, he is clearly sold on the experimental results.
It depends on what they are really testing. There are several types of em drive devices that are actually propellant reaction rockets that work. The reaction-less EMdrive this thread is about IMO has absolutely no positive data there is something happening other than thermal driven effects.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
It depends on what they are really testing. There are several types of em drive devices that are actually propellant reaction rockets that work. The reaction-less EMdrive this thread is about IMO has absolutely no positive data there is something happening other than thermal driven effects.
Don't shoot me. I'm just the messenger.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
True... and btw Nsa, I did watch the complete video that @RichardO linked in post #147. And thanks to that, I finally understand why all the objections to its feasibility. Yes, the theory as it currently stands implies an overunity device, and that is a big no-no.
Another fundamental reason (can't remember if the video talks directly about it) is Noether's Theorem.

Someone still has to come up with a good reason why 80W of RF into a closed copper funnel can fundamentally break symmetry by pushing off the universe's gravity or some other mystery field and cause non-homogeneous physics (if we do experiments in different places in the universe, we get different results) that destroys relativity and electromagnetic physics in general with the greatest of ease. All the experimental results look like noise (the detected signal decreases with increases in sensitivity, selectivity, accuracy and resolution).

It sounds like Flubber but Flubber was more believable.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Flubber had a commercial version called, "Super Ball".
It wasn't quite Flubber, but it was close.:p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Ball
I propose we shoot if from a rail gun to the ground and see if launches into space.

kv

A rail guns velocity estimated at 8600 miles per hr, a Superball dropped from a 25 story building bounces is 85 to 90% height which is under 225 feet, plus or minus 10/15 % times 8600. 15 % under 1,935,000 feet

Last edited: