Reactionless drives...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
If you combine that with the Russo's cold fusion device we now have a source of energy to fold spacetime and to control the universe with our planet destroying machines.
Ok... now I get it... thanks...

But what do you think is going on? You think this guy's just trying as hard as he can to sell his pipe dream to naïve bidders?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Roger Shawyer is IMO a con artist. A very good one because most of his techno-babble until this 3G paper was an effective smokescreen of good and bad that hid the obvious defects in science. Shawyer’s ‘electromagnetic relativity drive’ is a fraud.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Are you guys aware that the emdrive had a starring role in a summer filler TV show called Salvation? I was surprised. It's probably the best use of the thing.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Are you guys aware that the emdrive had a starring role in a summer filler TV show called Salvation? I was surprised. It's probably the best use of the thing.
Friends don't let friends use reactionless drives in science fiction.
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/reactionlessdrive.php
However, a little thing like violating a law of physics isn't going to stop the crack-pots. Face it, the second law of thermodynamics hasn't stopped all the people attempting to create perpetual motion machines of the first kind.
3g601665550.gif
Jons Law part #1
"A reaction drive's efficiency as a weapon is in direct proportion to its efficiency as a drive."

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The eurhythmic interpretation of quantum mechanics.

If true that makes it a perpetual motion machine as has been discussed before so on the first principles of no free lunch, I'm not buying it. We get physics busting theories, and no credible data.
I believe you, though maybe there's still the chance it could work on a different and little understood principle? ... I'm looking forward to the Chinese test ...

On the other hand, I thought it was bad journalism for the article to be titled "NASA's impossible engine"

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
For some reason NRL is wasting time on this.

He says he's agnostic about the (crackpot) theories but they are plainly and clearly wrong at the most basic level. I guess if psychic powers were investigated then this is a normal operation to put the dagger in this nonsense.

One of the subjects talked about here is the Mulitpactor effect of RF energy in vacuum. This can cause nonlinear kinetic energy effects (localized heating) on surfaces from secondary electron emission.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
He says he's agnostic about the (crackpot) theories but they are plainly and clearly wrong at the most basic level. I guess if psychic powers were investigated then this is a normal operation to put the dagger in this nonsense.
That much is clear:

20180306_004524.png
The big question for me here is, if this is all crackpot, why is this guy, who's got such respectable credentials, invesitng so much of his time in it?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
That much is clear:

The big question for me here is, if this is all crackpot, why is this guy, who's got such respectable credentials, invesitng so much of his time in it?
It's an excuse to play with new toys with the tax payers money. He knows and says (one in a million chance to win a billion playing the lotto) they expect to see zero actual (new physics) thrust from the device. It is a good chance to improve the measurement platform for other low thrust devices the NRL actually works on for space based systems.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It is a good chance to improve the measurement platform for other low thrust devices the NRL actually works on for space based systems.
Bingo. It's not acceptable in any field that there can be devices like the emdrive persisting for so long without being dismissed, and ideally explained, by careful experimentation. Pons and Fleischman observe something unexpected and the world goes crazy trying to replicate and/or explain the observation. That's the good part. The bad part was jumping to the conclusion that a new physics has been discovered. That should always be the last hypothesis, not the first one.