The Economy Is Going Down

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Does the economy effect you in any way,even if you have a job.
How about beneifits your personal finance,the cost of food.
How about your electronic toys,can you afford your provider
or increase in fees. Remote cameras that bill you for traffic.
Go to google you will see a decoy car at Las Olas and A1A
on the beach,one of the most famous intersection in the
world,been there for two weeks.If you find it post it on
show your picture one by one for 2011.Use google earth
to show other decoy cars and other things we have been
talking about, MISS JOHN HE COULD FIND AND POST ANYTHING.
TELL JOHN HE IS MISSED MAYBE SOMETHING COULD HAPPEN.
CAN ANYONE FILL HIS SHOES WITH GOOGLE RESEARCH.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The economy's been going down for quite while. We barely missed a depression, but there's always a second chance.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I don't leave home.The forum is my home.There are others with close
contact with John,I hope someone will follow thru,do you know if a moderator
would allow him back.Question,were you the first photo on the Forum.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I feel effected. I'm not sure if it's the economy or just me. I feel like looswire is his one and only pic. in the middle of the ocean, no land in sight. Can't stop working; can't relax or take time to enjoy life; If I take a break from swimming, even for a second, I will drown.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I am proud of that picture ,a picture is worth a thousand words.
It put to rest the opinion of some that I was full of hot air.
It shows as an action figure,no where to go but up or down.
I didn't go down,so that picture give me a platform on the Forum.
I like that I share adventure with you from your comments and
ability.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm struggling. Just got back from the car shop, this is gonna hurt. Driving in the 110°+ isn't a good time to not have air conditioning. And they are still talking rolling blackouts.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
If the a/c compressor is out,you are looking at a$1000.00 bill
unless you have repair insurance.There is a Florida man sueing
because the power company charges $7.00 before you use any
power. For all users it amount to $50,000,000,000 before any one
in the state uses any power,go right to the stock holders. I don't
like the statement that the power company duty is make money
profits for stockholders.The states should control utilitilies and
leave private money out of it.The same thing causes melt downs
in the economy.Stock brokers are the only ones that make money
on the stock market.You spend your life to make what they make
in a year.Since the fifthies they have been transforming the system
for the C.E.O. at the top making all the profits.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
I agree Loosewire, Here in south Australia I used to work for the power company ETSA, This was Electricicty Trust of South Australia, The consumers were the stock holders & there payout was reasonable priced power. The state goverment did not put any money in this system. Some how the state gov passed legislation so they could split the busines up & sell it of to private enterprse, with very highly paid CEO. Power prices have now gone through the roof (plenty of people have been disconected as they cant afford power) We have been well Screwed by the Govt & powercompany. (The govt promised cheeper power with privatisation) Also since privatisation there has been very little upgrading of the system, extra charges are about to be added to bills to cover lack of up grades. ( This is where some of the profits should have gone). Also water supply has gone the same way.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The states should control utilitilies and leave private money out of it.
Do you really think that is wise? Look on how well the government spends it's money now. When they are short ... they raise taxes.

How would you like to raise your credit limit everytime you overspend? You can't do that, but that is exactly what our federal legislature did recently. You must live within your means or your SOL. You can't go to an employer and tell them you need more money. If your in business, you could raise your prices, but, if you raise them too high, your business will suffer, as would you.

Who was it that said the US would be in trouble once the people figured out they can vote themselves money from the general funds? It was written in the early 1800s I believe.

There are electric CO-OPs around that thrive.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Joe, if I wasn't facing rolling blackouts in this area I would be a believer, but as is they have failed. I take it you aren't getting them?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Yes, they have failed. What is the root cause? Demand for cheap electricity?

I can tell you I came to TX from a state where the government was regulating the prices. I can also tell you my electric bill is half was it was in the other state. Unlike TX, that state regulated how much must come from renewable sources. In TX, you can get 100 percent of your electricity from renewable sources, and you pay for that privledge at a reasonable, abeit higher rate.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Look where the money Is going to C.E.O.'s ,a state system could do no worst.
We don't have choice,congressmen should be debating the bills on the floor of
congress,not having gangs of six and special committee's to hid behind.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The states should control utilitilies and
leave private money out of it.
really? The way I see it, The only reason we have "competitive" pricing on electricity & the only reason we "reasonably" responsive repair times on our grid is because of marketplace competition. If you give anyone a monopoly on the power, whether it's a single company or whether it's the state government, both of these things will go away. What would be the state's motivation to give you a better deal on your power bill? It's not like you're going next door to the other power company.
Stock brokers are the only ones that make money
on the stock market.
Most of us are making money off the stock market in one way or another. If you work for a corporation, I'll bet part of your paycheck comes from investors. If you have a 401K, your money is in the stock market.
You spend your life to make what they make
in a year.
Well, I can surely agree on that point, but why? if stock brokers make so much money, then why isn't everybody a stock broker? It's because being a successful stock broker is like being a successful athlete. Not just anyone can do it. Lots try. I would say that for every millionaire wall street hack, there's 1000 poor souls who tried and failed. Just like for every pro football player, there's probably 1000 poor souls who dedicated the first 20-something years of their life to the sport and never made it the pro league. It's not only a skill thing either, it's a gamble, and it's not common to find a guy with the balls to risk his livelyhood every day at work. If you ask me, they deserve it. Unless you stole from someone, you deserve whatever you have.
Look where the money Is going to C.E.O.'s ,a state system could do no worst.
We don't have choice,congressmen should be debating the bills on the floor of
congress,not having gangs of six and special committee's to hid behind.
There's going to be a big guy at the top no matter how you throw the dice. You seem very worried about CEOs making too much money. What happens to all that money once it enters a CEOs bank account? does it disappear from the economy? No, it goes to buy private jets, mansions, and sports cars. In turn, creating jobs for private jet manufacturers, mechanics, construction workers, etc. Unlike when your money goes into the government's bank account, after which it goes into foreign aid campaigns to countries who don't even like America and really does disappear from the economy.

TBayBoy

Joined May 25, 2011
As an interesting side note, I live in a province that for the better part of the last 100 years was referred to the economic engine of Canada, very strong economy, industry, etc.

A little over a decade ago the government broke apart the electrical system and sold off parts to the private sector.

With ever increasing electrical costs and a system philosophy that seems to feel it is more profitable to sell electricity to other markets than to residents, we've plummeted from #1 to the bottom.

If my government screws up, I can get another one every few years... who else can I get my electricity from?

There is no incentive to the private sector to be socially responsible in electricity.

On the up side though, organizations like our local airport are converting some of their open space to solar generation so the long term is unknown, possibly thousands of new generation sources will lead to lower prices eventually, but what kind of an economy will we have by then?

A very risky experiment.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
As an interesting side note, I live in a province that for the better part of the last 100 years was referred to the economic engine of Canada, very strong economy, industry, etc.

A little over a decade ago the government broke apart the electrical system and sold off parts to the private sector.

With ever increasing electrical costs and a system philosophy that seems to feel it is more profitable to sell electricity to other markets than to residents, we've plummeted from #1 to the bottom.

If my government screws up, I can get another one every few years... who else can I get my electricity from?

There is no incentive to the private sector to be socially responsible in electricity.

On the up side though, organizations like our local airport are converting some of their open space to solar generation so the long term is unknown, possibly thousands of new generation sources will lead to lower prices eventually, but what kind of an economy will we have by then?

A very risky experiment.
An increase in the light bill crashed your entire economy? There's got to be more to it than that. Our economy is plummetting and theres more than light bills involved. The cost of everything is ever-increasing. If the government ran the grid would you still be paying the same for your electric bill as you did a decade ago? I think it would have risen all the same; maybe not as much, but who knows? Without knowing the full scope of your province's dealings, it sounds as if one monopoly (the government) was traded out for another monopoly (a company in the private sector). If there were multiple companies vying for the same electricity customers, would the price go down? It should, I would think. That should be the incentive, competition.

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
I think raising the debt ceiling was a bad move, almost as bad as only focusing on reducing deficit spending, and not the national debt itself. Obama should have been focused on balancing the budget and reducing the national debt, before Health Care reform, or stimulus gifts to his campaign supporters. Last week China, downgraded our credit rating, on of our bigger lenders, others will follow. Borrowed money is going to cost even more, and we are going to have to give up even more, in 'trade' deals. One headline that caught my eye, as I logged in this morning... http://channels.isp.netscape.com/ne...tory/1001/20110806/w3866.htm&sc=+&floc=NI-ne1 A second blow to our credit rating. And the main use for the newly borrowed money, will be to spread a quick coat of paint, on all the disappointments, called Obama's administration, he want's another 4 years, and it's a little late to do any real work fixing the economy or creating lots of jobs. He needs to show tangible progress, quickly, and it's going to cost a lot. It's nothing new, but we really can't afford to dig a deeper hole. Unfortunately, the party is over, or we just got home from a long vacation, and it's time to start cleaning up the mess, and figure out how to get the bills paid. Most people realize, that when they've filled all their credit cards, getting a new one, just so you can continue to live, and make minimum payments, just doesn't work. Eventually, there are no new cards, nothing left to sell, or borrow against. You miss payments, assessed fees and penalties, eventually you default, or file bankruptcy. I can only hope that enough people see through the fresh paint next year, and consider some new faces in Washington. Obama needs to go, we have to stop the reckless spending (thanks for the SunRail commuter train, we don't really want or need, or could ever hope to afford to operate). Least Florida, dodged the High-Speed, Bullet train project. I'm sure next year, will start off with another, Bail-Out Bonanza. Good insurance, even if he doesn't get re-elected, Obama still wins, lots of wealthy friends. We need to break up the career politicians as well, many of them have been doing it to us for decades, and need to stop spending. There really should be term limits, and a reasonable cap on salaries. They are elected to serve the people, supposedly because the care about this country, not to get rich off it. Those that fail to provide a positive role model, should be removed immediately. If an indiscretion is proven, that should be the end of their career. They should know right from wrong, and be focused on their job, and position, they are compensated very well. President Clinton, should have been out, for the office sex, and lying about it, mostly the lying. Are economy isn't going to get any better, until we get the debt significantly reduced. We send a lot of dollars to other countries, just to pay the interest. Part of the deal, is also trade agreements, which bring in cheap imports, as well as cheap raw materials to our lenders. American workers got greedy, and demand higher wages, and benefits, for jobs never meant to be life-long careers, run a cash register, flip burgers, theme parks. Some jobs were meant as temporary, entry level, or just something to keep an income, until you can find a decent job else where

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Macroeconomics is a complicated thing, I can't claim to understand it although I did a course on it.
For example if you cut police spending you are reducing the deficit, but because there are less people employed the ratio of national debt to GDP increases. Crime also increases which puts up insurance costs. Less people employed also increases unemployment payments and means that there is less free money spent.
Cancelling large projects wastes any money already spent and again makes people unemployed.
Historically, increasing large projects was the way to get out of depressions.
Not increasing the debt ceiling in America would have been implausible, you would have had to stop paying huge numbers of people virtually overnight. There would have been millions of unemployed and vital services would have ground to a halt. Viewed from outside America it looks ridiculous, one party trying to mess up the country just to score some kind of point.