The blue PCB stuff

Overclocked2300

Joined Apr 24, 2005
Whats that blue PCB stuff called? Ive heard I have to use a laser Jet Printer inorder to use it. Is there another way I could transfer my circuits on to it? I have them printed out via an Inkjet priter already.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I'm going to assume that you mean the blue "Press-n-Peel" image transfer film. (Assumptions... dangerous things...)

If so, then a laser printer is a must. Can you take your artwork file to the local office supply place and have them print it on the image transfer film for you?

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Proper communication is the key... the guys and gals at "Office Labyrinth" know about paper and photocopiers and ink - not about ferric chloride or copper cladding. Tell them that excact size is critical. Show them the bubble-jet copy that must be matched. Have them print out a plain-paper copy first and compare it with your bubble-jet copy. Tell them that one side of the transfer film is the right side and the other is the wrong side.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I apologise for having misinterpreted your original post - I thought you already had some of the blue stuff in hand.

As long as you don't mind a little "clean-up" with a sharpie marker, then ordinary plain paper will suffice. When using plain paper, make sure that the transfer to copper occurs as soon as possible after the page is printed from the laser printer.

The blue stuff requires much less "clean-up" of the image. It also allows one to wait as long as needed between printout and transfer. For the little boards I make, I have not found it to be worth the extra cost. YMMV, as I am a chaepskate.

I have not tried the copy store's image transfer paper. I thank you for the idea and I will give it a try soon.