Thank You to Steinar 96, and an Apology to the Group

Mike Mandaville

Joined May 27, 2009
Thank you to Steinar96 for confirming that I was probably driving the iron core of my transformer into saturation. I had already drawn this conclusion independently, although I could not say so, because this would have suggested the thought. It really should be just a matter of doing the simple math.

And now I would like to apologize to the group for getting a bit grumpy. I got what I wanted out of the thread, but not without some hard feelings on both sides, it seems.

Time to go drum up some more mowing customers. I really do wish that the oil companies would stop bouncing the price of gasoline up and down. They drove me out of business last year, and I'm still trying to rebuild. Of course, after I get this arc welder built, though, I'll be able to build my highway-legal go-kart, and then the price of gas will be less of a factor for me.

steinar96

Joined Apr 18, 2009
Good i was able to help, take great care if you decide to continue with that transformer but i dont think anyone here will recommend it ;)

Better safe then sorry :D

Mike Mandaville

Joined May 27, 2009
Good i was able to help, take great care if you decide to continue with that transformer but i dont think anyone here will recommend it ;)

Better safe then sorry :D
Steinar96, you can be sure that when I have that electrode holder in my hand, the other end of the cable will be fastened on to a legitimate isolation transformer. Unlike a carbon-arc lamp dimmer, I of course would not be able to stick weld by remote.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
We may seem a bit old-ladyish, but this is a very public forum with persons of every level of experience participating. We simply have to urge great caution to try to preserve safety.

Last time I bought a Staco 1520 autotransformer, it set me back about $275. That was before copper went up. It was only good for 15 amps, but weighed in at close to 20 pounds. The core was enormous.

Mike Mandaville

Joined May 27, 2009
We may seem a bit old-ladyish, but this is a very public forum with persons of every level of experience participating. We simply have to urge great caution to try to preserve safety..
Amen, Brother. I would not recommend a home-made arc-welder project to anyone who is not reasonably confident that they are not purchasing for themselves a swift trip to the graveyard.

Last time I bought a Staco 1520 autotransformer, it set me back about $275. That was before copper went up. It was only good for 15 amps, but weighed in at close to 20 pounds. The core was enormous.
Yes Sir, that sounds about right. I already have a couple of pencil leads mounted to do my little carbon arc experiment, and I'll be using a second servo system to keep those leads moving. An arc-welding helmet and arc-welding gloves will be worn, and every inch of my skin will be covered. For an experienced arc-welder such as myself, this is just standard practice, though there are boys who have done this experiment without the proper protection, stared into the arc, and the next day they had to visit the optometrist. Be that as it may, in the available literature, there is usually no mention of these safety necessities!