testing integrated circuits

corrie

Joined Jul 14, 2011
To clarify I am still on this AO1 Auto Orchestra made by MTI. As I couldn't even identify a resistor or such when I started I have read a lot and spent a lot of time on the internet and have solved a couple of the problems but am now facing close to 30 integrated circuit units. I know they can't be tested in the usual ways and I have even purchased a used analog oscilloscope(which I am learning how to use) and that they can be ruined by static electricity. What I would like to know is what to look for when testing these in the circuit. It will be sending signals that change chords, such as abcd etc., and a wide range of different drum and rythm sounds. Some of it now works but not all. I have a complete set of schematics and can trace all circuits on the six pc boards. But what I need to know is what kind of signal I see. Will it be voltage in different strengths that can be read on the scope? The unit uses a 120v transformer cut down to three 18 volt circuits using a center tap through a recitfier so all voltage is +dc except for one signal which is -2v. If I could tap into some of the brain power out there I may make this thing work yet. Will appreciate any help. Thank you. Also I check email about three times a day so if I don't answer right away I will soon. I am located on the west coast.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
What I would like to know is what to look for when testing these in the circuit
Use the part number and google for their datasheet.Understand what the IC does and you are ready to check for some parameters.Anyway post the schematics to get a better help.

Good Luck

corrie

Joined Jul 14, 2011
I see I made two errors in my post, I explained my problem too much, I should have just said what I need to know is how to check this and also I asked the wrong kind of question. I should have said something like: how can I hook up 6 led's, four caps with different values, a couple of zener diodes, three resistors and an op amp to turn on the pump in a fish tank, using the battery from my wristwatch. Also I should have posted nine full sheets of schematics. I don't think so, they are almost impossible to find and I had to pay for mine. I have seen on this forum several virgins like myself taken to task by a " Senior Member" for not supplying enough info. I thought I would try to dodge that bullet but lost. Maybe some of you " Senior Members" should lighten up a bit, just because you have learned something about electronics doesn't mean everybody else is stupid. I apologise for wasting your valuable time. Thanks a heap, I am gone.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Maybe some of you " Senior Members" should lighten up a bit, just because you have learned something about electronics doesn't mean everybody else is stupid.
Nobody meant that, we all started somewhere knowing nothing but we never asked something like that i.e.. "I have 30 IC and how to check them" or even if we have asked something like that, we tried to understand what other people have said us, that’s how we learned. Their are millions of IC available in market, I am no Harry potter or X men to know what IC your talking about inside your brain. You just don't want to learn ,you just want your job done quickly, try some commercial company for that. Without any details we can't solve your problem, we need schematics to debug a circuit or at least we need to see the circuit. You can't even provide a part number, what you want us to say???

Last edited: