Testing a flashtube.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Welcome to AAC.

Congratulations, you have practiced the arcane art of necromancy, the revival of a long dead thread. Likely the OP (Original Poster) has solved his problem in the years that has passed, or thrown it away, or something.

A thread belongs to the OP (original poster). Trying to take over someone elses thread is called hijacking, which is not allowed at All About Circuits. I have therefore given you a thread of your very own.

This was split from Testing Flashtube?

hard cider

Joined Feb 16, 2013
I am sorry for any offense, thanks for the gentle reprimand.
I admit I did not take the time to thoroughly browse the forum rules

I was interested in how he manually triggered the Xenon tube, but now I am searching for other information

In a nutshell:
Panasonic Lumix DCM-FZ47
Flash stopped working after an 18inch fall from the truck's back seat to the carpeted floor.
Camera recognizes the flash is open and the LCD displays a green dot at the time the flash is supposed to go.

I have very basic knowledge of what is going on here.
After some testing using a Fluke 87 I found the flash capacitor to have 110vdc and the same across the anode and cathode of the xenon tube.
the cap. is a 300v 256uf
I discharged the cap. with a 4700ohm resistor and it will not recharge when the camera is turned on or when a pic. w/flash request is taken.

I saw what I thought might be a fractured solder joint at the end of what I think is a diode (which connects to the + of the cap.) and I resoldered it. No change.

From what I have read, the transformer provides 300+ vdc to the cap. ?
There is 7.46vdc Batt. voltage at what may be the input, and 7.35 at the ...output...?

any words of wisdom are appreciated.
Here are a couple pics of the circuit

Attachments