Test probe jig's for expanding out the pins of IC chips ?

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I want some little jig's that can sit over an IC on a PCB, like DIP-8, SOP-16 or what ever, and make good contact with all the pins and break them out for probing.

Surely people make such a thing for common packages, what would they be called so I can buy a few somewhere, even cheap on ebay.

I'm hands aren't too bad at probing TTH, but it's only a matter of time till I zap some IC again, trying to probe it. And tacking wires to SMD chips is hard too. And takes forever.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Ok I'll search DIP test clip, I can't see it without signing in. I have super glue, plastic, wood, foam/metal, I should be able to make a little jig for fitting over basics TTH chips at least. If I had kid's I could draw my idea's and have them make it. Just gluing a few leads through a piece of plastics and/or to the outside of some foam would be a good start.

I'm lazy ATM tho

I have a descent digital microscope, I've barely tried soldering with it. I'd like to have a test jig as simple as a tripod that could mount to a PCB over a chip, and precisely and rigidly extent a few needles to where ever you want.

I bet there's some descent hobby/repair model testbed that's the size of a laptop, and you clamp the PCB where ever you want and have finely controlled arm with a few test needles and lights, and even a camera.

What would such a thing be called ? If I had more tools/etc, I'd like to make little things for this. But I'd pay for that someday.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I Googled "dip clip" and got this (dip clip for chips?):
1583836574855.png

But I think SamR meant clips like this:
1583836640364.png
The prices on the alliexpress site to which SamR pointed strike me as very low prices.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Pomona products aren't cheap, but what they save you from in headaches and provide in quality make them worth every penny.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Pomona products aren't cheap
Mine came in a lot of misc IC's and sockets on eBay 10-15 years ago. Seller didn't know what they had, so they didn't cost much. They didn't even list part numbers for the IC's. I took a chance and it was a goldmine.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I Googled "dip clip" and got this (dip clip for chips?):
View attachment 201135

But I think SamR meant clips like this:
View attachment 201136
The prices on the alliexpress site to which SamR pointed strike me as very low prices.
Yeah that's the stuff all right.

I get off to an ok start. I raided my garbage, I took plastic, foam and some sort of cardboard like material, and some leads. Then I taped some clear plastic to a breadboard and melted pin hole's for the IC's

I figured I'd glue a bottle cap on top, to place a weight in it, to help get a connection. I have to tin some wires to the leads, IDK if I'll glue them in rigid at just the right lenght, I don't have a good setup for precise work.

I gave up for now tho, I need a scrap of wood from the shed. Or maybe a floor joyce

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Yes and FOR AGES, like LITERALLY 5 years(3 for sure), I have meant to get a lump of clay, to stick parts into when soldering or whatever

And no store close by had it, and I never think to look for it

TODAY I BUY A CHUNK OF CLAY ONLINE

BLU-TACK, I ordered some BLU-TACK finally, I even remember that name from the past 1-2years, that I've been remembering, that I need to order sticky clay, for soldering

but I've 1st tried to buy it at an art store years ago, I remember because I was getting over an artsy girl

Last edited: