Tesla Coil Ham Radio Conversion

John13

Joined Feb 9, 2011
Hello Everyone, I am hoping to find help, I want to step up the voltage from the output of my Ham radio, what would be the easiest way to do that?

I realize it's a strange question but can I connect a coil such as an ignition coil or better yet a tesla coil to the antenna output? I'm just guessing that a Tesla type air core coil may be better because an ignition coil would go into saturation at higher frequencies wouldn't it? But the problem with that may be that the Tesla Coil would probably need a high voltage input in order to step it up higher wouldn't it?

Whatever advice anyone can give me would be very much appreciated. Thanks for your time and help. (-:

John

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
With RF energy Its more rated in Watts. Eg if your ham set is only rated at 5Watt output then the Linear amp will increase the output to whatever it is desighned to put out eg, if its a 100Watt amp then thats what it should increase the 5Watt to. Making sure your antenna can handle the increased power.

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
If you're transmitting radio energy without understanding what you're doing, you can cause interference to other peoples radios in the area and can bring the FCC to your house.

My advice would be to not connect anything to the output of a ham radio until you understand what could happen.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
John, your profile indicates that you're located in Texas, not a foreign country. If you are actually a licensed ham you would not be asking this question and wouldn't be attempting to hang Tesla coils on your transmitter output. Not that it matters but are you referring to a CB transmitter?