Terminal block - need help with determining order of cold and hot wire.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Two pins marked with one label usually indicates that their order is irrelevant.
You can measure each of them to, "common" to find out if they are referenced to common, but they are often isolated from common or forbidden to touch common, such as the speaker terminals which came from a transformer output stage.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
What is this device?

Use an ohm meter and see if 1 or 2 is connected to ground(3). If either of them is, that's neutral. My bet, if either of them is connected to ground, it would be 2.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
What is this device?

Use an ohm meter and see if 1 or 2 is connected to ground(3). If either of them is, that's neutral. My bet, if either of them is connected to ground, it would be 2.
And I see that you focused on the 1 and 2 terminals while I focused on the "out" (4 and 5) terminals.
That's what happens with scarce information. (smiley with shrugging shoulders)
Now that you redirected my focus, it looks American.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
"Terminal kit order" - ??? Is this device powered by a direct connection to AC line voltage, A transformer output (like a doorbell or furnace control system), an external DC supply, or WHAT?

ak

abarnes

Joined Jul 19, 2015
And I see that you focused on the 1 and 2 terminals while I focused on the "out" (4 and 5) terminals.
That's what happens with scarce information. (smiley with shrugging shoulders)
Now that you redirected my focus, it looks American.
Sorry that I didn't have enough info on the device. It's a CBS Audimax 444. I replied to the post with a schematic and manual website if you don't mind looking at it. Thank you for your help.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That drawing shows, "twisted shielded pairs". That's 2 wires and a shield (in each cable). They are transformer isolated. It looks like my first guess is right. They do not touch, "ground". They do not touch each other. They are not of a certain polarity. 1 and 2 are audio inputs. 4 and 5 are audio outputs.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
A blast from my past!!! As the schematic shows, this is a balanced audio in / balanced audio out smart ALC device. The + and - markings are arbitrary phase indicators so you don't get a phase reversal through the device. The standard setup has this for long-time-average level control, and a Volumax for smart peak limiting. Classic a.n.a.l.o.g gear, kilobucks back in its day. Why do you have this and what are you going to do with it?

ak

abarnes

Joined Jul 19, 2015
A blast from my past!!! As the schematic shows, this is a balanced audio in / balanced audio out smart ALC device. The + and - markings are arbitrary phase indicators so you don't get a phase reversal through the device. The standard setup has this for long-time-average level control, and a Volumax for smart peak limiting. Classic a.n.a.l.o.g gear, kilobucks back in its day. Why do you have this and what are you going to do with it?

ak
I'm an student , and current intern in a studio in LA. My boss is a big gear junkie, so the Audimax belongs to him. He texted me with this issue last night. I'm a former avionics technician on aircraft but I have little to no experience with audio gear. I came across this site last night. It's amazing how knowledgeable the community is.

abarnes

Joined Jul 19, 2015
That drawing shows, "twisted shielded pairs". That's 2 wires and a shield (in each cable). They are transformer isolated. It looks like my first guess is right. They do not touch, "ground". They do not touch each other. They are not of a certain polarity. 1 and 2 are audio inputs. 4 and 5 are audio outputs.
Thanks for the help. I'm new to the site and have learned a lot already. You guys are amazing. I can see how some one could become a fanatic.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Thanks for the help. I'm new to the site and have learned a lot already. You guys are amazing. I can see how some one could become a fanatic.
Hey! No need for name calling! :mad:
Oh...wait...that's the label the website put on my moniker.:rolleyes:
Never mind.:(
Let's just stick with, "We're amazing". :)

You have to applaud the Moderators on this site. They keep the trolls off our butts so we're happy nerds doing what we do best. :p