Tektronix 2215

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/tek/2215/index-640477417.html
link to free downloadable service manual for the 2215

do not be afraid of this 100% e-bay seller.
looking at his feedback list he sells many, many Tektronics scopes with literally 100% satisfaction.
message him and ask what warranty he is willing to provide. 100% sellers really worship the rating and bend over backwards to maintain it.
He states a 1000 hour remaining CRT lifespan. That is an up-front disclosure.
figuring an 8 hour a day usage, 125 days is what he has estimated.
consciously minimizing the intensity should extend that. Positioning the traces off-screen when not viewing will help also. These should be standard procedures for any CRT scope of any age.
The scope in reality will probably give years of satisfactory service.
Cathode poisoning is an issue, but not one you should base solely the whole deal on.

See "excerpt" at bottom of post for most likely how the CRT on this scope was repaired.
after a repair, the lifespan on a CRT is pretty predictable.

What is often called cathode poisoning happens when residual gasses in a cathode-ray tube get ionized and attracted to the electrically negative cathode. This can cause the cathode to stop emitting electrons by chemically reacting with the barium and strontium oxides which coat the cathodes of most tubes. These oxides emit electrons at a much lower temperature than most cathode materials. As the cathode becomes more oxidized it becomes 'poisoned', and the electron emission goes down until there is too little to support proper operation. (from everything2.com)

If the bidding including shipping and handling stays around the 250 mark it will be at about the average. A google search will find these scopes running anywhere from 100 to 500 USD. I guess now that you advertized it here it will increase a bit?
I see Test Equipment Depot has a refurbed at 650 USD. http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/usedequipment/tektronix/oscilloscopes/2215.htm#0003034?ref=gbase

an important specification is the 60MHz.
Will that be adequate for your needs?

have you considered a PC scope?

attached is info on CRT repair.

excerpt:
If you cannot get any cathode current to flow due to complete poisoning of the
cathode, the CR7000 has a "rejuvenate" function. The rejuvenate function is
used when the CRT cathode is so totally encrusted that no restore current can be
drawn by any of the other restore functions.
In the rejuvenate function. a charged capacitor is connected between the cathode
and the control grid (G1). When the sudden positive voltage from the capacitor
is applied to G1, the electrons under the poison crust break free, essentially
cracking the layer of contamination. Once the layer of contamination has been​
cracked, the other restore functions can be used successfully.

Attachments

Last edited:

sgardner025

Joined Nov 5, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply. The information on CRT rejuvenation was helpful. I probably won't be dealing with anything much above 30 KHz for a while.

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
I was ordering parts for other gear and checked for the heck of it.

CRT tubes available for the 2215.
Tektronix part number is 154-0838-00
costing from 40.00USD used to 130.00USD new

Attachments

Last edited:

sgardner025

Joined Nov 5, 2009
I sent the seller a couple of questions. This may be my first scope. It should do everything I need for a while anyway.