Technical feedback wanted???

wml52

Joined May 8, 2014
I’m posting here to get some technical feedback from folks that have a lot more gen-set experience then I do. I’m looking to replace my old 1999 Generac PP5000T genset, which has served me well over the years as emergency backup for my homes essentials located in Northeast NY but now needs to be replaced.

I’m considering the following for budget reasons and would like some technical feedback on the Westinghouse model WH7500 with the following specs: 420cc Honda clone engine 7500 running watts, 9000 starting watts, alternator is a brush design with 100% copper windings, the THD is rated between 9% -15% depending on load and an AVR rated at +/- 5%. I have search reviews regarding this model and haven’t found any negative reviews with regard to function, only cosmetic damage due to shipping.

It will be used as backup for the following: 9-year-old Miller oil fired furnace, ½ HP 3 wire Grundfos well pump, refrigerator, 3500 watt water heater and some lights.

Would this gen-set be ok to run those items without damaging them? It will not be used to power any computers or flat screen TV’s.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

Bill

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
you might want to look into diesel gensets, the fuel dosnt go bad like gasoline, and they get much better run time on a gallon.

wml52

Joined May 8, 2014
I would love to own a diesel or a Honda, but my budget is very limited, that's why I was considering the Westinghouse. I was just asking if the specs for the gen-set would be OK for running the equipment I listed.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I was in the business of manufacturing portable generators for a few years, and although the generator model you are asking about didn't exist then, I feel competent to speculate about it.

1. THD of 9-15% isn't great, but it isn't terrible. At one point Honda generators had 24% THD; I haven't tested one since 2004. Our genheads were the best in the business, and had 6-8% at 1/2 load. Commercial power generally runs about 2%. The AVR figure is okay if it will really do +/- 5%, but even if it is slightly worse, it shouldn't be a problem for the items you list.

2. The engine is most likely made in China, and is a Honda knockoff. Some of the Honda knockoffs are quite good, but finding service can be a problem. Sometimes Honda parts will fit.

3. Maximum output is most likely going to be about 6kw continuous. Generally, you can expect about 500 watts per engine horsepower, and this looks to be a clone of the GX390 Honda engine (maybe bored out a little to get to 420cc, or maybe it's really 390cc.)

4. Overall, it looks good in the pictures, but at almost a grand, it's no tremendous bargain. But then, I have been out of the business since 2004, and retails have probably changed.