TDA2030 help

maher471

Joined Jul 6, 2012
hi for all,
can any one help me, i have a complete pcb made with two tda2030 recovered from a broken stereo systems but i need to connect it to 3w speaker only, so how can i adapt it and what is the recommadation for the powersupply(voltage and current),

thanks for all in advance

maher471

Joined Jul 6, 2012
thanks Strantor for your reply, but in the datasheet the minimum power describes in the fig. 1 in page.4 is 4w for +-Vs=8v for 4R speaker, and what transformer can i use (voltage and current).

thanks

maher471

Joined Jul 6, 2012
hi,
I am not sure if I use +-6v for 3w output are ideal or not for the global quality of sound, another little question if I use +-6v AC transformer what current I need because I have a little transformer 2x6AC 0.8A.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Those chips works well with 12V and draws about 3 Amps per speaker.
So to drive a stereo one ur Tx is way too small. U need a Tx with a secondary of 10V-0V-10V at around 6 amps Is current capacity, that is say 120VA transformer. or 10VAC at 6 amps will suffice but the sound will distort at strong bass.

maher471

Joined Jul 6, 2012
thanks R!f@@, but i need to drive only 2x3w speaker witn TDA2030 amp. for that i think that the 120VA transformer is oversized.

maher471

Joined Jul 6, 2012
hi, just another information, for volume control I intend to use the Toshiba, electronic volume is "TC9153", so any help more!! to drive those 3watt speaker
thanks

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
U ask for help and u r telling me tht I am wrong. Why are u asking for help in the first place. If u can't take the fact tht u are wrong then don't ask for help. So listen to the advice given to u by those who handle those kinda chips in their every day life. will ya ?

It's not what ur puny speaker handles but rather the impedance the speaker reflects on the amp chip. a 3W 8Ω speaker or a 300W 8Ω speaker puts the same load on the TDA2030. It's the impedance tht loads the chip. The watts is the power capacity of the speaker.

Get this thru ur mind tht the TDA2030 can provide 8W into 8Ω or 12W into 4Ω. In either case it will draw a current of 3.5A @ 14VDC which means it needs around 50VA of transformer power to work properly for just one channel. The chip does not care if the speaker is 1W or 1000W. It just delivers what it see's at it's out put which is the Z.

So if u think u having 3W speaker the chip would need lower voltage and current, U need to do some more learning about amplifiers and Impedance..

To use a TDA2030 u will need a 10VAC transformer of around ≈ 50VA to drive just one 8Ω Speaker. The chip will not work any voltage lower than 10.5VDC or so. Any supply that cannot supply atleast 3Amps is useless.

And one more thing. Ur 3W speaker won't last long with a TDA2030 amp.

U are better off with a LM386

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Apologies excepted.

The cheaper solution for u might be to find an LM386 for u 3W Speakers.
Second solution if u wanna use the TDA is to get a 10VAC 50VA transformer and if u are careful u can drive the 3W speaker without blowing it up.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
hi for all,
can any one help me, i have a complete pcb made with two tda2030 recovered from a broken stereo systems but i need to connect it to 3w speaker only, so how can i adapt it and what is the recommadation for the powersupply(voltage and current),

thanks for all in advance
You need to check and see what the board was designed for: You can use any voltage up to +/-18V with the TDA2030.... but if the board was designed to run on +/-10V and you put +/-15V you may blow some capacitors if their voltage ratings are too low.

As for the transformer ratings:

playing music through small speakers you probably only need at most 0.5 Watt CONTINUOUS POWER but may have voltage peaks upward. The solution is to use large filter caps and a lower current transformer. You could use a transformer rated at about 20 VAC (center tapped) and about 0.5A. Higher current is OK, just makes the transformer bigger and heavier.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
If I were the OP I wouldn't have apologized. They asked a perfectly valid question.

A power transformer with 20VA capacity would probably suffice to drive two channels with 8 ohm loads up to 3W. One simply has to limit the voltage drive to limit the load power.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
20VA is more than adequate with no limiting. If the thing is turned up high enough to draw more than a couple of Watts real power, the speakers will blow out of their frames.

I actually designed the 2030 back at fairchild in 1979 (we ripped off the product from SGS but I did the Fairchild version of it). We ran them at the high continuous power ratings on the data sheet, but any real world music application will never get there. A couple of Watts continuous power is plenty, as long as you have the large capacitors to supply transient peaks.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
A power transformer with 20VA capacity would probably suffice to drive two channels with 8 ohm loads up to 3W. One simply has to limit the voltage drive to limit the load power.
I interpreted the OP's statement of:

but i need to connect it to 3w speaker only
to mean they are 3W rated speakers, ie small speakers. They will never be driven anywhere near 3W of power.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The datasheet shows in figure 1 that with a plus and minus 9V supply its output is 3W into 8 ohms. A little louder than a cheap clock radio.

Figure 11 shows that at 3W into 8 ohms its heating is 6W then its total power from the power supply is 9W which is a DC current of only 9W/18V= 500mA, not 3.5A.
The max current for a stereo amp is 1.0A.

A 15V center-tapped transformer with two rectifier diodes and two pretty big filter capacitors will provide plus and minus 9.6V so the output into 8 ohms will be a little more than 3W.