TDA2003 upgrade to TDA2030 simple?

Fenris

Joined Oct 21, 2007
hi all

Ive built a circuit that uses the TDA2003 as the output stage. Now i hear on the grapevine that this amp may be being discontinued and although its likely to be available for quite some time 'whilst stocks last' I want to ensure i can easily upgrade as and when required. The design i used originally is nice and simple, sadly, a bit like me. I know i can just swap the component as they are pin for pin identical but would i have to change any of the discrete components to cope or would i have to totally redo the circuit to suit. the latter i would like to avoid if possible as the PCB is done to suit the current setup. heres a pic for reference advice would be gratefully received as i'm not smart enough to know what to do. thanks in advance.

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you examine the datasheets for the two IC's, you will notice in the "typical applications" area that there are a number of differences between the two, one of which is a pair of 100k resistors on pin 1.

If you have a large number of these boards in stock, you might try experimenting with a couple of the 2030 IC's to see how well (or badly) they'll perform with your existing circuit. If it turns out you will need to make a lot of changes, you'll then either need to purchase sufficient stock of the 2003's to carry you through to the end of your supply (including spares for replacements) or else re-design the board.

If you wait until the 2003 is discontinued, your costs per IC will skyrocket.
Right now, Mouser sells the 2003 for as low as $0.892/each when buying in quantities of 5000; you may find them for less elsewhere. They also sell the NTE1288 for $7.49 each, which is an equivalent replacement. If you wait to buy them, you'll be paying close to the NTE price - or perhaps even more.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
When the TDA2003 has a 12V supply, its power at clipping is:
1.6W into 8 ohms.
3.0W into 4 ohms.
5.2W into 2 ohms.
6.0W into 1.6 ohms.

The TDA2030 might be obsolete.
When the TDA2030A has a 32V supply, its power at clipping is:
12W into 8 ohms.
18W into 4 ohms.

The 1000uF output capacitor reduces 20Hz to an 8 ohm speaker to half power and reduces 40Hz to a 4 ohm speaker to half power.

Fenris

Joined Oct 21, 2007
thanks for the input gentlemen. Luckily there is space on the PCB to use if the alternate amp circuit is needed so i can expand sidewaysby about 2 inches. currently im using a 4ohm speaker to test and the sound cracks out. however i noticed the operation of the pot was reversed; ie. Anti CW turns the volume up CW turns it down. of course as the pot is a log type i wont be getting the proper 'range' of control. Luckily it only requires the swapping of the wires on each end of the pot track.

regards

Fenris

I need a complete TDA 2003 amplifier scheme (stereo) including details and a PCB
I want to get the best from this IC.
There are different ways I could build this little amp but I want the best one.
If anyone knows something or have something like please let me know.
Cheers.

I built this TDA 2003 amplifier http://www.sonelec-musique.com/images/electronique_ampli_bf_001.gif and it works :) .
How could I change the input level for about 400mW at input ?
Which resistors value should I change (what value should have R1 & R2) ?
I want to reduce a little the output power because anyway is clipping ...:( how do I do ?

quote"When the TDA2003 has a 12V supply, its power at clipping is:
1.6W into 8 ohms.
3.0W into 4 ohms.
5.2W into 2 ohms.
6.0W into 1.6 ohms.

The TDA2030 might be obsolete.
When the TDA2030A has a 32V supply, its power at clipping is:
12W into 8 ohms.
18W into 4 ohms.

The 1000uF output capacitor reduces 20Hz to an 8 ohm speaker to half power and reduces 40Hz to a 4 ohm speaker to half power. "quote

I used a simple 12V transformer and 16500uF.
What happens if the output capacitor is bigger or smaller value ?
Also how could I know which is the power of TDA's before clipping ?

Attachments

Last edited:

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
I used a simple 12V transformer and 16500uF.
Jesus, for what do you need a 16,500uF capacitor for a 3W amplifier??
A 2200uF for a perfect power supply filter and 1000uF for output coupling to speaker is only necessary. More than that, its an overkill.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Your 12VAC transformer will produce a rectified and filtered unregulated supply of 15VDC. Then the output of a TDA2003 into 8 ohms is 2.8W. Its output into 4 ohms is 5.6W and its output into 2 ohms is 9.2W.

It does not have an input sensitivity that is measured in mW.

If it is clipping then turn down the volume control.

If the output capacitor is too small then there will be no bass output.
If the output capacitor is too big then the frequency response will go down very low and the capacitor will use a lot of space.

millwood

Joined Dec 31, 1969
I don't know if tda2003 -> tda2030 is an upgrade.

from a topology point of view, tda2003 is a current feedback amp -> wide open loop response and fast. tda2030 is just an ordinary power amp ic.

if you are concerned about stock, buy a few of them now and be done with it. why change when you don't have to?

I had some time and I designed mono version of TDA 2003
Here is the eagle file and pdf, what do you think about it ,it is good ?
I need a little help on stereo version. I need only a photo of pcb stereo circuit version, I have no idea how to arrange them.

Attachments