Taming the MOOG 12vdc motor! Yee haw

kalikid1210

Joined Jul 15, 2008
Greetings to all you DIY types.

Challenge: Operating a Moog Silencer Series BN23HP Motor, Brushless 12 VDC Motor (see pic below)

I contacted the manufacturer and was informed that a 3 sensor hall effect controller was needed.

Attached is a schematic/wiring diagram:
http://www.mavin.com/pictures/moog-motor-print.pdf

If any of you masterminds could steer me in the right direction for the controller needed I would be much obliged. I have a sneaking suspicion that a run of the mill electric scooter's (Razor, Schwin, Izip) hall effect throttle would work...but ask my loving wife and know that I've been wrong on many occasions (the futon on the hood incident)

Pete in blazing hot 'n sticky Houston

kalikid1210

Joined Jul 15, 2008
This is an email from the manufacturer. Moog Components Group.

Hi Peter,
Enjoyed the photo! Looks like you are hard at work!

The motor you have is a 3-phase brushless DC that is electronically commutated. Three of the wires are for the phases (A, B, and C). Three of the wires are for the Hall switches (S1, S2, and S3). The other two wires are +5 VDC and Ground to power up the Hall switches. The motor will not operate directly from the battery. You will need a brushless DC amplifier (like the one attached – this is our model). Basically you connect the 8 wires from the motor to the amplifier and then provide a 12 VDC source to the amplifier. The motor will then run like a charm (assuming the battery can provide a high enough level voltage to keep the motor running – the amplifier must have at least 12 VDC).

I’d be more than happy to talk you through the connections. Doesn’t have to be my amplifier – any BLDC amplifier that is for a 3-phase BLDC motor with 120 degree timing will work. I’m heading out for today but if you’d like you can give me a call tomorrow – 800-577-8685 ext. 256.

Thanks,
Robbie