Taking apart a MBP 36 Monitor

UberBuff

Joined Dec 19, 2013
Hi All,

I've come searching for some tips on how to take apart a Motorola MBP 36 baby monitor. The kids have been dragging the parent unit around whilst it was still plugged in, and they've damaged either the DC power jack or the plug on the charger cable to the point where it won't charge the unit unless you're forcibly holding the cable a particular way - taping it into position is no longer working, so I'm going to have to crack it open to do a more permanent repair, possibly replace the power jack with an equivalent (maybe more sturdy) part.

I came across this thread on the forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=63579

but it didn't really offer much in the way of advice about how to pull it apart without destroying it. The OP had posted photos of the PCB inside, but no tips on how to get that far.

All I've found is one little screw to take out, which was inside the battery compartment (technically, the 2nd screw, as I had to undo another one to get that far). I've tried prying the case apart gently with a small screwdriver after that, but there appears to be a lot of resistance, it springs shut again pretty quickly when I stop prying, like there's more to it.

Is there a trick to this, or do I just hold my breath and rip it apart, hopefully undoing any plastic clips without breaking them? If possible, I'd like to take it apart without completely destroying the case.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
There are interlocks holding the case.
And try to see under any label pasted on it. There are usually screw under the labels.

U need to hold the parts apart and continue to pry.

Dart4915

Joined Feb 15, 2015
There is one screw for the battery case and one screw under that. then take a small flat head and pry open on all four corners. There are clips at each corner and I believe in the middle.

My unit stopped charging so I opened it up. When I popped the case apart, the charging connector popped off the circuit board. Since I wasn't able to solder the REALLY small leads, I just lined up the connectors on the bottom of the connector with the leads on the circuit board and then soldered the two small tabs on the side to hold the piece in place. Then I took non-conductive glue and put it around the piece to hold it in place.

The connector is a little harder to push in afterward but it feels more secure and works like new!

And try to see under any label pasted on it. There are usually screw under the labels.

Last edited:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012

Even if you can feel out where the latches are, you usually end up with at least one pry mark along the join.

The sideways flexing that (if you're lucky!) unhooks the latches - is a hard learned skill.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Have you checked that the charger is working? It is not uncommon for the wires to break right next to the strain relief. This is a lot easier to fix the the monitor.

jabottee03

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Hi All,

I've come searching for some tips on how to take apart a Motorola MBP 36 baby monitor. The kids have been dragging the parent unit around whilst it was still plugged in, and they've damaged either the DC power jack or the plug on the charger cable to the point where it won't charge the unit unless you're forcibly holding the cable a particular way - taping it into position is no longer working, so I'm going to have to crack it open to do a more permanent repair, possibly replace the power jack with an equivalent (maybe more sturdy) part.

I came across this thread on the forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=63579

but it didn't really offer much in the way of advice about how to pull it apart without destroying it. The OP had posted photos of the PCB inside, but no tips on how to get that far.

All I've found is one little screw to take out, which was inside the battery compartment (technically, the 2nd screw, as I had to undo another one to get that far). I've tried prying the case apart gently with a small screwdriver after that, but there appears to be a lot of resistance, it springs shut again pretty quickly when I stop prying, like there's more to it.

Is there a trick to this, or do I just hold my breath and rip it apart, hopefully undoing any plastic clips without breaking them? If possible, I'd like to take it apart without completely destroying the case.
I know this is an old thread but did you fix the problem? We had an incident where our charger now won't work because it fell in just the right spot. I just opened it up and nothing looks out of place but I'm sure it has to do with the connection. My model is different as it is the babies r us version. Any tips or help is greatly appreciated. I wouldn't even call myself a novice at electronic fixing so please dumb it down for me. This is my first attempt at anything like this.