Table saw motor problems

LCLARKE

Joined Feb 6, 2010
Hi, i was wondering if any of you guys can help. I have a table saw that runs off 220v. Ive been using it for about a week, when i went to turn it on and all i got was a sound like it wanted to go, but wasn't. I checked the cap and it was blown open, so i changed that and its still the same. Any advice would be very helpful,
L Clarke.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
First guess would be that the start switch is fouled with sawdust and not making contact. Of course this assumes the motor is free to turn and not locked up.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Did you replace the cap with the same spec as the one that was dead?
Did you make sure that was the correct cap for that motor?

If Yes to #2, (and the motor still spins freely) Your start windings may be bad.

Mike33

Joined Feb 4, 2005
Can you blow it all out w/compressed air, and take some resistance readings across the coils? Can the shaft be turned easily by hand? Seems like either something (a coil) is burned out, or is mechanically being prevented from moving (bound w/sawdust etc). Might need to replace the start cap again, too, if it blew...

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
First guess would be that the start switch is fouled with sawdust and not making contact. Of course this assumes the motor is free to turn and not locked up.
Sawdust in the switch is the most common malady.

Capacitor blowouts or burnt start windings are the result of inability to start, when the motor just sits and grunts, also causing the thermal overload to trip. Thermals degrade rapidly if tripped too many times.

Good idea to fieldstrip the motor and clean it out, change bearings if necessary. 'elluva lot less expensive than a new motor.

Last edited: