Synchronous rectification

Gaurav:)

Joined Dec 24, 2013
Hi.. I am working on a full wave bridged topology of SMPS. My power requirement is more than 3KW including 200 A of current. I am using IGBT H bridge at the primary of SMPS and MOSFET H bridge at the secondary. I am driving primary side IGBTs using microcontroller generated PWM. I need to drive MOSFETs using these PWM signals. Should I go for the isolation or pulse transformer?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
That depends on your topology and if you require isolation, would it not?

If you require any more detail just ask and I shall consult my magic 8-ball.

Gaurav:)

Joined Dec 24, 2013
Thank you for your response sir. I am using Full bridge, the standard isolated topology. Can I vary the output current by varying the duty cycle of the PWM signals at primary? Can output inductor decide the value of the maximum output current?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Do you really want to try to build a 3kW SMPS with dual switched h-bridges and synchronous rectification, at your level of skill? :eek:

Do you really want to try to build a 3kW SMPS with dual switched h-bridges and synchronous rectification, at your level of skill? :eek:
Good question.

Seems some folks are always interested in building UPS's under the false assumption it's cheaper than buying one. I'm assuming this is a UPS and not a power supply.

Last edited:

RamaD

Joined Dec 4, 2009
I mean, Should I go for the pulse transformer or use IR 2110?
OnSemi has made a comparison of GDTs and their silicon solutions in an AN, and finally recommended their silicon solutions with a no. of reasons. The top one is :
We dont make transformers :)