Synchronous Motor Help Needed!

sjgallagher2

Joined Feb 6, 2013
I just stripped my broken microwave and got this handy dandy SM16F BY36P1A3 synchronous motor out of it. Now that I have the motor, I would very much like to use it to control a door lock. The issue is, while I can get the motor to move in either direction, the way it switches is seemingly random. Just whenever I flip my on/off switch it could either go CW or CCW. My theory here is that the phase of the signal determines which way it'll go. But it could also be where the rotor stops and has to start from right? So my issue becomes A) determine, somehow, which of my theories may be correct, and B) find a way to time when the AC signal starts, or when the rotor stops.

The input is from the outlet, stepped down to around 21VAC, so it's not like I can control when the incoming signal starts and stops too easily :p
Does anyone have any prior experience with these motors? Can someone help me control this motor in either direction I want?

sjgallagher2

Joined Feb 6, 2013
There are two leads on the motor, which, in initial experiments, was connected directly to the transformer, which was connected directly to the outlet.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
They start in random directions.

I have one on a piece of workshop equipment that I prefer to rotate clockwise. I just put a bit of torque on it in the clockwise direction with my fingers when switching it on, then it starts up and runs clockwise.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
There are two leads on the motor, which, in initial experiments, was connected directly to the transformer, which was connected directly to the outlet.
For the turntable that wants random maybe?
Built in alternate start?

New one for me.

A motor that does not have a bias for starting should not start at all.:confused: imo

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The same principle used in the older wall clock synchronous motors, they had a spring/kick start to make sure it started in the right direction, often the start mechanism would wear and the clock would run backwards.:(
As RB says, you have to tension bias it at start up.
Max.

Last edited: