Synchronous Generator, PF and Load Angle problem?

NornIron75

Joined Apr 17, 2013
Hi everyone, i'm needing some assistance with a problem, how to find the load angle and power factor of a synchronous generator! a group of us have been scratching our heads for days on this, I've attached what I've done up to date.

i'm sure i'm nearly there, maybe by a simultaneous equation i can find the answer but not sure, your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks

Attachments

NornIron75

Joined Apr 17, 2013
please mate, i,m not sure how to calculate the load angle without the power factor ie: using imaginary numbers. if Ra is zero would i still have to work out a resistance? would it be easier to work out using phasor diagrams?

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
It would certainly be worthwhile to draw the phasor diagram.

From this you may find it easier to visualize the geometric relationships from which you can deduce the unknown angles.

Keep in mind the point that the machine internal reactance voltage drop will be given by the product of the known values of the line current [18.65 A] and line reactance [1.935 Ohms]. The representative phasor for this reactance voltage drop would be one orthogonal to the line current phasor. The machine internal per phase voltage [magnitude 268V] will be the vector sum of the per phase output line voltage [magnitude ~254V] and the aforementioned internal reactance voltage drop.

Last edited: