Symbol standard

dusek.dominik

Joined Jul 5, 2014
Good afternoon,
I would like to ask you for help.
I am writing a work about circut simulation and I found out that exist some standards of electrical symbols.
For example:
IEEE 315,
ANSI Y32,
IEC 6061,

My problem is that I am not able to find out, which standard defines symbol for DC current source as circle with arrow inside.

Could anyone help me?

Thanks
DD

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
My problem is that I am not able to find out, which standard defines symbol for DC current source as circle with arrow inside.

It is a mathematical symbol.

As that symbol is not a physical device (as is say a transistor or resistor), it may not be defined in any of those standards.

dusek.dominik

Joined Jul 5, 2014
It is a mathematical symbol.

As that symbol is not a physical device (as is say a transistor or resistor), it may not be defined in any of those standards.
Thank you for the answer.

I think that it does not matter that it is not real device.
For example IEC 60617DB defines symbols for ideal current and voltage source. The identificators of them are S00205, S00206.

But OK, it could be not defined by some standard, so somewhere else should be another authority responsible for the symbol...

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The real problem with your query is that readily accessible standards are just not available to the general public. The IEC, IEEE, ANSI and other bodies charge dearly for access to standards and on top of that I doubt that a universal standard agreed to by a significant fraction of the planet even exists.

See this thread from 5 years ago
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=11591

If you decide to pay the bounty and get one of these standards let us know what you find out.

dusek.dominik

Joined Jul 5, 2014
The real problem with your query is that readily accessible standards are just not available to the general public. The IEC, IEEE, ANSI and other bodies charge dearly for access to standards and on top of that I doubt that a universal standard agreed to by a significant fraction of the planet even exists.

See this thread from 5 years ago
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=11591

If you decide to pay the bounty and get one of these standards let us know what you find out.
Thank you.
You described my problem with query exactly. I probably will not pay for the standard. My question is who (what) I can reference in connection with the symbol displayed above, so paying for the standards would be lottery (I would probably pick the one which does not contain that symbol).

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Have you tried an old-fashioned technical/research library at a local university?

We don't know where you are. If you are USA, try the Library of Congress.

John

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Have you tried an old-fashioned technical/research library at a local university?

John
The University of Michigan has a vast library. Problem is parking. Civilians get dinged rather hard for parking in lots close to things like the library or the commons. It's just not worth the hassle.

dusek.dominik

Joined Jul 5, 2014

John
No, I have not. By now, I am situated in small village in Czech Republic, quite far from university. I will probably try as soon as I reach Prague.
Thank you for the suggestion.