Symbol for Ohms ......

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Does knowing how to directly enter unicode characters automatically define you as a nerd, or does the definition only apply when you start memorizing individual codes?
That depends on how many you know. I only know two of em:

± is alt + 177

° is alt + 176

That is because those are my most frequently used, and I typically have to try them both as I never remember which is which.

However, I am a fully qualified nerd due to temperament and inclination.

See my pretty kitteahs up there? I snatched em out of a bush when their momma abandoned them when they were but 2 weeks old. I promptly started to weigh them every day, and since I oft say "if you don't write it down it didn't happen" I took to recording their daily morning weight.

In Excel. And of course I added a chart to the top so I can see how they are progressing.

Nerd is what nerd does.

It drives my wife loopy too, but the funny thing was last week the bigger kitteh wasn't eating and wasn't as big as his formerly runty brother. First day the wife told me it doesn't matter, next day she called me all worried, said she weighed em both and one weighed not 3 pounds but the other one weighed more so what did that mean?

All I could think of was "it doesn't mean anything unless you have a list of how much they weighed every day since we got them."

Not that I said that, of course. <grin>

alt+234 works in my notepad which is now and forever set to Courier New as I prefer a fixed font for tabulations and most especially CODE.

Verdana was the font of choice after long discussion at my company from years back, I think what sealed it was the difference between "1" "I" and "l" (number 1, capital eye, lower ell). I use it in all procedures.

Now when making drawings I prefer Verdana for the "boiler plate" (parts of the drawing that are the format) and Stylus BT for additional notes. Stylus BT ships with Autocad and it looks like a skilled draftsman's hand written letters, thus it goes to the part of the brain that says "someone wrote this note specifically for me to read) and gets a higher brain priority.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Hi,

If UTF-8 <Alt>0236 doesn't work for you then try UTF-16 <Alt> 8486 to get the Ω symbol.

Notepad doesn't support UTF-16, but wordpad does.:confused:
Thank you Ifixit. My PCs must be set to Unicode 16 as they require 4 digits to give a result, 0236 gives me a weird Euro-style i and 8486 gives me the ohm symbol, let's see if they work;
ì

PeeSeeBee

Joined Jun 17, 2011
It might be your Location or Region/Language settings in the Windows Control Panel.

Check what you have it set to now, and then try setting the format to English(US) and location to UnitedStates. It could also be your Keyboard settings or under the Administrative tab, non-unicode locale setting; in Windows 7 it's all available from the "Region and Language" applet in the control panel.
I was going to play around with the regional & keyboard settings, but you need to restart Windows every time you want to make a change, so I didn't bother. I don't want to set them to non-UK settings permanently anyway.

I notice that they correspond to this table until 224 (E0).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437

However, I found this table which seems to work for me:-
http://www.edlazorvfx.com/ysu/html/ascii.html
You have to add a zero to the 3 digit codes to get them to work.

Strangely, there is a code for Ohms (8486), and a seperate code for Omega (937). They do look slightly different.

Last edited:

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Sorry SgtWookie I glossed over your post and didn't check the region settings.

I did it now and have English(Australian) (is that an oxymoron?) and like PeeSeeBee says it requires Windows restart to change si I didn't bother. I have an old browser and old Windows so I'm not too stressed about the Unicode 16 setup.

As for the custom characters, I have collected many of them in a simple text file and they cut and paste just fine!

For the record I've never seen the corrupted ohms characters in a schematic or PDF, so it hasn't been an issue for me at least.