Symbol for Ohms ......

pistnbroke

Joined May 9, 2011
In a couple of places recently .this site and Silicon Chip I noticed the use of w in stead of ohm 2.2kw etc .now to me that kilowatt .....so is this the new sloppy idle way of doing ohm and whats the symbol for Watt ....??? I just noticed all the symbols are at the side.... Ω so no excuse

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I believe you are serious, but I missed the "w as ohms" thing. If you could point out the place where that happened the rest of us could see who got sloppy.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
It is quite common around the world and I've seen it often in PDF files. I suspect it's a problem with the available character encodings -- the capital omega isn't available, so usually a w gets substituted. It's a PITA because W means watts, but one can usually figure things out from the context.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Capital W for Watts, ω (lower case Omega) for Ohms but Ω is preferred. Then there's the weak use of m when μ is intended. Browsers, operating systems and the forum engine all accept at least Unicode UTF-8 characters though some are font dependent. If you're using Windows, there's a character map available under system tools in accessories.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We've had the complaint before. This isn't going to go over well, but the problem is with the OP's computer. It is using a font that does not display ohms correctly. Everyone else sees the correct symbol but them, but how can they know that?

To type ohms press and hold the <alt> key, then type 234, then release the <alt> key. Everyone who's computer is set up correctly will see the omega symbol ( Ω ). It you don't it isn't everyone elses computer, it is yours (and your problem).

Other symbols can be found here...

Alternate Math Symbols

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
...To type ohms press and hold the <alt> key, then type 234, then release the <alt> key. Everyone who's computer is set up correctly will see the omega symbol ( Ω ). It you don't it isn't everyone elses computer, it is yours (and your problem).
Bill, I just tried the 2 computers in arms reach (in Notepad) and now this computer in this reply entry box, and the ALT thing doesn't work.

Do you have any idea where I can turn this ALT feature on?

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Bill, I just tried the 2 computers in arms reach (in Notepad) and now this computer in this reply entry box, and the ALT thing doesn't work.

Do you have any idea where I can turn this ALT feature on?
Bill forgot to mention that you have to use the numeric keypad.
Numlock has to be enabled.

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
Some computers require you to use the ALT + fn key and use the keypad that is "under" your letter keys, not your top number row.

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
With the schematic symbol for a resistor and just 2.2K it is assumed the value is in ohms. The schematic author can opt to use a footnote that says so.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
so whats wrong with the ilde sods putting 2.2Kohms
It would be better to fix your computer than to expect the rest of the world to conform to your singular computers specs, a major minority. With my images it doesn't matter, since fonts are not involved. However, even there there are differences in standards, resistors and inductors vary between the USA and the EU for example.

I would like to know what the problem is myself. There is a similar thread in the Feedback and Suggestions forum that had a similar problem, I don't remember if a solution was arrived at or not.

I hadn't realized the format for making these characters was so finicky, but it is. Numeric keypad with numlock on it is.

I use Verdana, this sites standard. What OS are you using? I'm using XP Pro.

You might try calling up Word or whatever you use for text, the seeing what displays ohms correctly using the <alt>234 method.

Last edited:

ifixit

Joined Nov 20, 2008
Hi,

If UTF-8 <Alt>0236 doesn't work for you then try UTF-16 <Alt> 8486 to get the Ω symbol.

Notepad doesn't support UTF-16, but wordpad does.:confused:

Regards,
Ifixit

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Hey, charge that sucker up to a hundred volts (might take a while), and you could probably power your electric car from here to Omaha!
EDIT: I just calculated that as the energy stored in 36,765 liters of gasoline.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
C'mon -- they've been screwing capacitance units like that up for decades. Don't expect the unwashed to change... :p
Convention? who needs it? We've got "that's how we've always done it" - which is a much stronger force to be reckoned with.

P.S. thanks for the new addition to my vocab. "unwashed" - had to look it up.

Last edited:

PeeSeeBee

Joined Jun 17, 2011
We've had the complaint before. This isn't going to go over well, but the problem is with the OP's computer. It is using a font that does not display ohms correctly. Everyone else sees the correct symbol but them, but how can they know that?

To type ohms press and hold the <alt> key, then type 234, then release the <alt> key. Everyone who's computer is set up correctly will see the omega symbol ( Ω ). It you don't it isn't everyone elses computer, it is yours (and your problem).

Other symbols can be found here...

Alternate Math Symbols
I have tried this in notepad, wordpad & MS Word with Verdana font selected. It produces a U with an inverted v above it (sorry, don't know the correct name). So how do I set up my computer "correctly"?

Just tried 8486 as suggested by ifixit, which does give a Ω in Wordpad & Word.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Does knowing how to directly enter unicode characters automatically define you as a nerd, or does the definition only apply when you start memorizing individual codes?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It might be your Location or Region/Language settings in the Windows Control Panel.

Check what you have it set to now, and then try setting the format to English(US) and location to UnitedStates. It could also be your Keyboard settings or under the Administrative tab, non-unicode locale setting; in Windows 7 it's all available from the "Region and Language" applet in the control panel.