Switching power transmission line

Donald Stephen

Joined Oct 29, 2008
POINT ON WAVE RELAY. any power experts out there willing to briefly explain how it is able to switch ON/OFF a connected shunt reactor to a transmission line?
An power industry expert had suggested I do not use a neutral grounding reactor if I am to install a 132kV, 5MVAr Switched Shunt Reactor due to TRV.But am concerned about ground faults.Comments anyone?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Thanks Beenthere for providing the link to the now-divorced thread. That helps.

Hi Donald,
While some of the posters on this forum have advanced degrees, you're talking about extremely high-power, high-voltage circuits. I'm not going to be able to help you with your situation, but as a public service message, I can say to the rest of our readers,

"Don't try this at home, kids." ;)

subtech

Joined Nov 21, 2006
There are several things to be considered. First however to answer your question about point on wave. A synchronous, independent pole breaker with the appropriate rating and a microprocessor controller would be one way to routinely connect and disconnect your reactor bank from the line. ABB makes such a syncronous pole breaker and there are several in service where I work. Each pole of the breaker opens (or closes) based on historical open/close timing data collected and stored by the on board microprocessor.
The processor controls all open/close functions and connects/disconnects are completed as near the sine wave zero crossing as possible.
Several factors will influence the protection decisions. The reactor bank will likely be included in the general line protection scheme, and many reactor faults will be cleared the same as any line fault.
Depending on circumstances, there may be independent protection for the reactors as well. Overcurrent is common. A differential with communication to the remote breakers may also be warranted.
An experienced protection engineer should be consulted when considering any such project.