Switching circuit

malfayu

Joined Mar 9, 2009
I'm trying to build the switching electronics for formula student paddle shift system, and we have decided to control the actuator using limit switches.

So the idea is;

1. Press the change up/down paddle, turns the actuator on
2. Actuator moves, until it gets to the end of its travel, about 25mm in
3. Actuator hits a end of travel limit switch
4. Limit switch turns off the power supply to the actuator, regardless of whether the up/down shift paddles are pressed.
5. Actuator remains off until the next rising edge from the paddles

I am struggling to figure out a system that can achieve that, I have tried switching using D flip flop, with the paddles connected to the clock, and reset to the limit switch button, with no success. Does anyone have an idea on how to do this? It seems like such a simple thing to do but i just can't seem to get it to work!!

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
What time period will the actuator be enabled at each input from the switch (how long to travel 1 inch?)

Once the actuator has moved forward one inch/25mm, what occurs on the next pulse?

Do the up/down paddles operate the same actuator?

Otherwise, use the Clock/Enable on the flip flop to block inputs while actuator is busy.

malfayu

Joined Mar 9, 2009
What time period will the actuator be enabled at each input from the switch (how long to travel 1 inch?)

Once the actuator has moved forward one inch/25mm, what occurs on the next pulse?

Do the up/down paddles operate the same actuator?

Otherwise, use the Clock/Enable on the flip flop to block inputs while actuator is busy.
The time it takes to travel to the limiter should be very short, manufacturer states that it should be within 50ms.

After each pulse to the end of travel position, the actuator will return to its neutral position, via a resistive torque that is applied via a lever. The up paddle moves the actuator in one direction and down paddle moves it to the opposite direction, it is a linear actuator.

Is a flip flop the right tool for the job? I know it can be used for some switching applications but i just don't know how it can be applied here, as i am a complete noob when it comes to eletronics