Switching 12v and up to 3A from a microcontroller

markmelive

Joined Aug 13, 2012
Hey Guys,

I need to turn ON 12v load (up to 2A current) using a microcontroller. So when microcontroller port pin is at "HIGH" (5v), the 12v load should be turned ON. Like a switch, I thought of using NPN and PNP -transistor combination, but I have 12 output loads to be controlled using microcontroller, so 12x2 = 24 transistors is not feasible. As i have to make the circuit very compact like a usb drive. So any Suggestions, pls help....Any ICs which can do the job??

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Your post doesn't make it absolutely clear, but if you have to control 12 different loads of up to 2A each, you will need a minimum of 12 driver circuits. I don't think there is any IC that will handle that. You can do it with 12 MOSFETs, each connected to a different load.

markmelive

Joined Aug 13, 2012
It cannot be done with 1 transistor, As negative terminal of all loads are grounded together. So i cannot connect each load accross the transistor to control individually....Did u get it??

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
It cannot be done with 1 transistor, As negative terminal of all loads are grounded together. So i cannot connect each load accross the transistor to control individually....Did u get it??
As is often the case, we need to use the language of electronics. Post a schematic, please.