Switch

mreaves

Joined May 23, 2013
I am a noob and just getting into this.

Basically what I need is a switch that is essentially a push to break switch, but pressing it only breaks the current for say 30ms, then the current is restored automatically, this is even if you continue to hold the button. You have to release the button to be able to break the current again.

mreaves

Joined May 23, 2013
Just to say, I can build the circuit if I have a schematic, or if there is a ready built switch for what I am describing then that is even better.

c.marsh

Joined May 16, 2009
555 timer comes to mind using a transistor to divert current else where. just a passing thought though.

what kind of voltages and amps are you talking about using the circuit in?

mreaves

Joined May 23, 2013
Just 9 volt, low amp.

Basically I need an IRLED to be always on. Pressing the switch turns it off for roughly 1/30th of a second, then it comes back on again. It doesn't matter whether you hold the switch down, it will still come back on after roughly 1/30th of a second. To be able to pulse it off, you need to release the switch.

mreaves

Joined May 23, 2013
I'm probably not being clear due to my greeness.

Basically I want a small voltage / current running through a circuit, 9v small amps, just enough to drive a few IRLEDS on the end.

When I press a button I want the power to the IRLEDS to be cut momentarily, and then be restored. But I want this to happen whether the user releases the button or not, which is why a regular push to break switch won't work, as that requires the user to release the switch to restore power. So whether you push and release or push and hold the same thing happens, the power is momentarily cut to the IRLEDS.

Only releasing the button would allow you to do the process again.

c.marsh

Joined May 16, 2009
might be overkill but an avr will do exactly what you want it to do with a little programming.

heck i can probably write the code in the arduino software in under 2/3 minutes.

question is, do you have an arduino knocking around? also, not sure which avr to use due to the voltage needed. most use 5.5v max